Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Marketplace
  Considering selling my 170 Montauk, price?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Considering selling my 170 Montauk, price?
Robert V posted 09-22-2008 10:17 AM ET (US)   Profile for Robert V   Send Email to Robert V  
As stated in the subject, I am seriously considering selling my 2007 Montauk. I am trying to get an idea of asking price, have thought that $22,500.00 was the number. Any thoughts? The boat has the new generation Merc 90 4-str, console and RPS covers, fishing package, bimini top, swim step, bow cushion, Navman factory fish finder, trailer and I added a 26 gallon Moeller tank (still have two factory tanks with hardware). I have about 25 hours on the motor. Thanks for the help, if you know of anyone looking for a like-new 170 please let me know.

Robert V.
Williamsburg, VA

jay18 posted 09-22-2008 10:54 AM ET (US)     Profile for jay18  Send Email to jay18     
I think $5000 is a fair price for a used boat. I also have a buyer lined up for you!


SC Joe posted 09-22-2008 11:16 AM ET (US)     Profile for SC Joe  Send Email to SC Joe     
To be honest, that price sounds a bit low with your options. 2008 models are selling in my area for $5-8K higher than that--with out your options. That said, I bought an '08 170 Mtk boat in Mo. and had it shipped 900 miles..and it was still cheaper than buying it from the dealer 2 miles down the street by roughly $4-5K.

I'd start at around $24-25K and come down.

jay18 posted 09-22-2008 11:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for jay18  Send Email to jay18     
sorry. that was meant to be humourous


chopbuster posted 09-22-2008 01:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for chopbuster    
What is the warranty period on the Engine.
Robert V posted 09-22-2008 02:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for Robert V  Send Email to Robert V     
Thanks for the help with this. To answer the question about the motor warranty, it has 5 years from date of purchase (8/07). Any other replies appreciated.

Robert V.

SC Joe posted 09-22-2008 07:54 PM ET (US)     Profile for SC Joe  Send Email to SC Joe     
How many hours on the engine?
chopbuster posted 09-22-2008 08:08 PM ET (US)     Profile for chopbuster    
I have about 25 hours on the motor.
SC Joe posted 09-22-2008 09:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for SC Joe  Send Email to SC Joe     
Ah yes..missed it.

I'd still ask $24-25K or so and entertain all offers.

barlow46 posted 09-23-2008 12:26 AM ET (US)     Profile for barlow46  Send Email to barlow46

Here is a dealer comparison here in FL. Your guess is very close to a realistic selling price in this market. I wouldn't start there and I wouldn't take anything less if it is a 10. Good luck with whatever you decide.

dhlaw posted 09-23-2008 06:39 AM ET (US)     Profile for dhlaw  Send Email to dhlaw     
The reasonable price is what someone is willing to part with in this market. Getting people to come off cash right now isnt easy so the price has to be somewhat of a deal. My understanding is that the factory may run some specials in the near future since they have boats stacked up 5 high here in Edgewater and the plant has been through some closures. Its gonna be a tough fall.
Robert V posted 09-23-2008 06:57 AM ET (US)     Profile for Robert V  Send Email to Robert V     
I appreciate the input from everyone, very helpful. It looks like I may postpone the sale until Spring. I think I would have better luck selling at that time vs. sitting and waiting for a buyer now. I agree with the last poster, tough market to sell a boat right now. I went to the Norfolk In-water Boat Show the other week and it was about half the size of last year's show but the prices did not seem to reflect the current condition of the boat market.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.