Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  in-hull transducer

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   in-hull transducer
chad posted 05-11-2000 02:11 PM ET (US)   Profile for chad   Send Email to chad  
I want to install a dash-mounted depth finder on my 1984 Montauk. To keep installition clean I plan to use a in-hull transducer (glue-on, puck-style)in the bilge. Has anyone had success with this type transducer in a Whaler hull?
kingfish posted 05-11-2000 02:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     

I've had an '82 and an '84 Montauk, and as I recall, all that there was room for in the bilge was a bilge pump, once you got around the hoses and wires (the bilge being the aft termination of the access tunnel to the console). My impression also was that the floor of the bilge was just another part of the bonded double hull with foam between the inner and outer hull; not a recommended application for a thru-hull transducer, I don't think. I know there are others here who have far more knowledge than I in regard thru-hull transducers (I only know what I have read), but I would strongly urge you to look into it more deeply before you drill any holes. Transom-mounted transducers were never a problem for me on my Montauks, nor on my Outrage now, BTW.

Good Luck,


dfmcintyre posted 05-11-2000 04:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for dfmcintyre  Send Email to dfmcintyre     
Chad -

If your going to mount an inhull vs. a thru-hull transducer, keep in mind that the keel is probably one of the thicker areas of the boat.

Any way you can try it before mounting, by just sticking the boat in water, placing the transducer in the bildge area the seeing if you gete a reading?

Years ago I saw an installation of a inhull in a Revenge, where they used a drill mounted hole saw about 6"dia that drilled through the floor, plywood underlayment and a few inches of the foam. They scooped out the rest of the foam by hand, right down to the inside of the outer hull (that make sense?).

Then inserted a piece of pvc pipe that was cut off flush to the top of the hole, and was glassed in place. The inhull trans was mounted into the bottom of the hole, and a plastic cap made for the top.

Weird but it worked.

Best - Don

lhg posted 05-11-2000 07:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Chad: The information from Kingfish is correct. I can quote the following from Boston Whaler's Owners' manual for the 13 & 16/17' boats, regarding transucers: "Through hull installations MUST NOT be made. They are likely to compromise hull integrity and WILL NOT work except at very low speeds."
The Owner's manual for 18'-25' Outrages also says the same.
chad posted 05-11-2000 11:24 PM ET (US)     Profile for chad  Send Email to chad     
Thanks to all for your replies. With your advice and further research I've decided to use the transom-mounted transducer.
Walt Steffens posted 05-12-2000 08:19 AM ET (US)     Profile for Walt Steffens  Send Email to Walt Steffens     
Chad: FYI there is a transducer message data string in the "Performance" section of the forum which deals with location of the transom transducer.
Hope it helps.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.