Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Transom Drain

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Transom Drain
70_Katama posted 02-02-2001 05:40 PM ET (US)   Profile for 70_Katama   Send Email to 70_Katama  
The engine on my 70 whaler I picked up last year covers the drain hole on the transon. How difficult is it to create a new hole so the water will drain? I have room to the left and right, but the middle section is blocked by the engine mount (1988 90hp Evinrude).
Help and Thanks
whalernut posted 02-02-2001 09:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalernut  Send Email to whalernut     
70 Katama, I have a 73` `16 Currituck with a 75` 85h.p. Johnson with non-power tilt/trim. My drain isn`t blocked, I wonder if it has something to do if you have power tilt/trim? Good luck-Jack Graner.
70_Katama posted 02-05-2001 11:33 AM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
I do have the power tilt trim. It looks like the back brace covers the hole. I do have some room to make a new hole, but I'm new to this and have no idea on how to create a new drain hole.
Barry posted 02-05-2001 05:08 PM ET (US)     Profile for Barry  Send Email to Barry     
Have you considered adding a jackplate? For around $200 you could move your engine back and up several inches and unblock the drain at the same time.

I've got the same issue on my '74 Montauk with '94 90hp Merc. I haven't done this yet but I'm seriously thinking about it.

jimh posted 02-05-2001 11:47 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Creating a new drain hole would involve something along this line:

--drill hole (about 1.0-inch dia.)
--insert new drain tube with one end pre-formed
--cut drain tube to fit
--remove drain tube and coat with sealer
--re-install drain tube and form unfinished end to flared fit

There was a long discussion of this a ways back. The drain tube and a flaring fixture are available.

For me, I'd move the engine back 6-inches with a setback plate!


70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 10:30 AM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
I'll look into the jack plate first.

Thanks guys

bigz posted 02-06-2001 10:41 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
Just make sure the jack plate doesn't cover the drain too --- some of the the one piece ones might and I believe Bob's MJ-5 might --
a little food for thought when looking -- Tom

PS if you do drill a new hole might want to slightly oversize it and then use epoxy and seal the inside plywood edges before inserting the tube --- you can also get the plastic tubes which secure with a large flanged nut if you don't want to fool around with flaring the brass tube
holly Toledo

70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 10:53 AM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
Will I lose my current power/tilt trim if I go with a jackplate? I see that the jackplates come with this option. Would I have to use the jacks power tilt/trim?
bigz posted 02-06-2001 11:17 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
No you won't -- since jack plates only move vertical in other words up and down --you can get either a mechanical type which you turn a nut to raise or lower or a hydraulic which uses 12v hydraulic motor --- this would be over kill for your 16 though ---the combination of both your t&t plus a jack plate will give you better shallow water ability and also improve your performance here are a few links ---

70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 02:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
Thanks guys
stagalv posted 02-06-2001 02:55 PM ET (US)     Profile for stagalv  Send Email to stagalv     
I bought the Cook Manufacturing Manual Jack Plate (one piece) model M-65 for my Montauk. It is being shipped now. I hope it doesn't block the drain tube as Tom was discussing. Anyone out there have this same jackplate on a Montauk?? Does it fit well? Also with this order is a set of their transom washer plates of which the top one is engraved saying "Boston Whaler". Cant wait to see how they come out. Rex
70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 03:07 PM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
Let me know how you makeout Rex.


70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 03:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
Just spoke with Cook Manufacturing. I purchased a two piece 5 1/2 setback plate. The price is $157, but they have "Blams". A blam is a "blemished" setback plate. The plate is just as sound @ $106.
70_Katama posted 02-06-2001 04:30 PM ET (US)     Profile for 70_Katama  Send Email to 70_Katama     
On the setback plate there is an vertical adjustment. I hope this doesen't sound like a stupid question, but how do I determine what the msot effecient height would be?
stagalv posted 02-06-2001 11:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for stagalv  Send Email to stagalv     
I ordered one of the two piece ones at first but then called back to change my order because of what I learned... What I understand is that with the two piece unit to raise or lower the engine you need some type of a hoist to lift the engine then you lock it in place with the 4 or so screws. With the one piece you loosen 4 screws then use a socket on another screw to raise or lower the engine by turning this screw -- no hoist needed. I certainly thought it was worth an additional $40 or so to be able to raise and lower my engine with a turn of a screw. Rex
TRIDENT posted 02-07-2001 01:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for TRIDENT  Send Email to TRIDENT     
Please post some pics when you get done with the job, there are a lot of us Montauk owners that would love to see the manual jackplate installed on your craft.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.