Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Replacement Foam

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Replacement Foam
JimU posted 02-19-2001 03:20 PM ET (US)   Profile for JimU   Send Email to JimU  
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment (love a challenge). My son and I have acquired another 16-7 Whaler as a project boat--1970 vintage. It may require some foam replacement as a result of some interior damage. I'll know more after we remove a section of the interior fiberglass skin. Do any of you know anything about the proper type of replacement foam and to whether it is best to inject it or lay it up by hand? Any info will be appreciated> Thanks JIM
hardensheetmetal posted 02-19-2001 04:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for hardensheetmetal  Send Email to hardensheetmetal     
I have recently started a similar project, I have been using an older whaler gelcoat repair sheet as a guide, but i know otheres have posted names of some manufacturers of the correct type of foam. if you go back in the threads you can find these. In whaler's repair sheet they note to make sure to use a Polyurethane foam as resin will eat other types (Isofoam PW-2 or PPG's 6403/6564 are recommended)According to Wests', their epoxy products will not harm the foam. (Listen to the Wests' interview under Whaler Radio if you have not already, it is really interesting)


Arch Autenreith posted 02-20-2001 12:42 AM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
In my repair last Spring I used the 2-part liquid foam available at West Marine. I think they were in about 16-20 oz size each. About $35. Someone also posted a site for alternative purchasing. I'll see if I can find out who and where.
Arch Autenreith posted 02-20-2001 12:46 AM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
JimU. Here it is. BigZ posted this.

andygere posted 02-20-2001 07:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for andygere  Send Email to andygere     
Most surf shops sell a product called Q Cell which is 2 part polyurethane foam. It's used for ding repairs, and is compatible with polyester resins.
Paint Legend posted 02-23-2001 10:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for Paint Legend  Send Email to Paint Legend     
lhg - sent me some info from BW on how to properly do the repair. Let me know, I can fax it to you if you are interested.

Best regards

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.