Moderated Discussion Areas
ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
|Author||Topic: Adhesive Removal|
posted 08-03-2001 03:23 PM ET (US)
I just finished removing the old bottom paint with peelaway. The peelaway worked pretty well but did'nt romove what looked like electrical tape. Which was under one layer of paint. A razor scraper made short work of that. However, the adhesive from the tape was left behind and is prooving pretty tough to remove. Could anyone recomend something that will remove an adhesive used on tape?
posted 08-03-2001 03:27 PM ET (US)
There are a lot of chemicals running around the boat right now but I am pretty sure the peelaway is what burned my thumb. Pays to buy better gloves. I am now using the ones made for washing dishes. OUCH!!
posted 08-03-2001 03:35 PM ET (US)
Try "Goof Off". I found mine at Home Depot. It smells like good old lighter fluid. Acetone should work as well but I don't like using the stuff.
posted 08-03-2001 03:36 PM ET (US)
I removed the same using fingernail polish remover. It works very well. OH! and a lot of elbow greese!
posted 08-03-2001 03:38 PM ET (US)
|Tom W Clark||
posted 08-03-2001 10:18 PM ET (US)
As mentioned, "Goof Off", rubbing alchohol, acetone (fingernail polish remover is acetone with fragrance added), lacquer thinner, paint thinner, toluene all work well. I prefer acetone as it is the most volatile (evaportates fastest) and cuts many substances well. Ever shop should have a quart or gallon.
Acetone is perfectly safe for the Whaler gel coat but will eat some plastics. I have had good success with Toluene on some plastics and rubbers.
Be sure to invest in good chemical resistant gloves. They just make life easier.
posted 08-03-2001 11:12 PM ET (US)
Just dont get Acetone into open cuts. Not very good for your health.
What is acetone?
Acetone is a manufactured chemical that is also found naturally in the environment. It is a colorless liquid with a distinct smell and taste. It evaporates easily, is flammable, and dissolves in water. It is also called dimethyl ketone, 2-propanone, and beta-ketopropane.
Acetone is used to make plastic, fibers, drugs, and other chemicals. It is also used to dissolve other substances.
It occurs naturally in plants, trees, volcanic gases, forest fires, and as a product of the breakdown of body fat. It is present in vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, and landfill sites. Industrial processes contribute more acetone to the environment than natural processes.
What happens to acetone when it enters the environment?
A large percentage (97%) of the acetone released during its manufacture or use goes into the air.
Breathing low background levels in the environment.
If you are exposed to acetone, it goes into your blood which then carries it to all the organs in your body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions. Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual cycle in women.
Swallowing very high levels of acetone can result in unconsciousness and damage to the skin in your mouth. Skin contact can result in irritation and damage to your skin.
The smell and respiratory irritation or burning eyes that occur from moderate levels are excellent warning signs that can help you avoid breathing damaging levels of acetone.
Health effects from long-term exposures are known mostly from animal studies. Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth defects, and lowered ability to reproduce (males only) occurred in animals exposed long-term. It is not known if people would have these same effects. "
posted 08-04-2001 08:41 AM ET (US)
Nail polish remover also has some oils in
it. Not what you want left on the 'glass.
There are heavy duty rubber gloves for paint
remover, much better than dishwashing gloves.
And wear better too. They seem to be a bit
more resistant to UV to. My local HW store
(OSH (=Sears HW)) has them.
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.