Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  skeg guard

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   skeg guard
whaler 5 posted 02-02-2002 02:28 PM ET (US)   Profile for whaler 5   Send Email to whaler 5  
Does anyone know what kind of tool is used to remove the stainless bolts that are used with skeg guards. The only way I know how to describe them is they have a slot for a flat head screwdriver in one direction but are beveled on the back side of the slot where a flat head will not remove them. Any ideas?
daverdla posted 02-02-2002 07:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for daverdla  Send Email to daverdla     
Sounds like they are security fasteners. They are designed so that they can't be removed. You may have to drill them out.


triblet posted 02-02-2002 07:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
Don't drill them out completely. Use an
Ez-out. But I've a sneaky idea that they are
bedded in something real permanent like
epoxy or 5200.


Arch Autenreith posted 02-02-2002 07:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
Try using a cold chisel and putting edges on the reversing slope to hold a slotted screwdriver.

Sometimes the stainless is too hard and/or the chisels aren't hard enough and you may have to re-sharpen then.

If the stainless bolts are harder than the chisels, well, I'm not sure what to do. Can you grab them with needle-nose vice-grips?

Why am I doing this on a Saturday night? I thought this is time to relax. I'm going to the Moose.


Oh. How about a Dremmel?

Flipper posted 02-03-2002 02:06 AM ET (US)     Profile for Flipper  Send Email to Flipper     
Use a Dremmel with a small cutting disc to do what Arch discribes. You could use a small stone wheel- less precise, but it may create the heat you need to loosen the screws - if they're 'Loc-Tited'.
where2 posted 02-05-2002 12:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for where2  Send Email to where2     
Home improvement book I have at the house lists those as security screws and actually says there is a removal tool for them. Having never seen this tool, the Dremel used to make a slot sounds like my approach.
tabasco posted 02-05-2002 06:13 PM ET (US)     Profile for tabasco  Send Email to tabasco     
Sears has these three drills for removing almost anything from screws with no heads left to what you described. Three for about $20
larimore posted 02-14-2002 08:11 AM ET (US)     Profile for larimore  Send Email to larimore     
I believe that Skeg guard is supposed to be filled with epoxy prior to installation. Removing the screws on an epoxied skeg guard might leave you worse off than before, if you can not get the guard off due to the epoxy. I would expect you could see the epoxy at the top of the guard if it was used.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.