Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  What is the name of the braided material used to cover control cables?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   What is the name of the braided material used to cover control cables?
SuburbanBoy posted 02-06-2002 06:15 PM ET (US)   Profile for SuburbanBoy   Send Email to SuburbanBoy  
While at a recent boat show, I noticed that a number of boats had their control cables bundled together and covered with a black woven sleeve. What is the name of the braided material used to cover control cables? And, where are they sold? Is there any reason not to use them if the controls are properly installed and functioning correctly? Any downside to the use of the covers?



triblet posted 02-06-2002 06:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
Dunno what it's called, but you can get at
least the smaller sizes in autoparts stores.
FYI, whaler uses it in current models. It
makes things nice and sanitary, and keeps the
UV off the important stuff.


captreils posted 02-06-2002 07:14 PM ET (US)     Profile for captreils  Send Email to captreils     
Chinese finger cuffs
jmp posted 02-06-2002 08:03 PM ET (US)     Profile for jmp  Send Email to jmp     
I have some of this if you need it. Send length and wire bundel size for price.
jmp posted 02-06-2002 08:04 PM ET (US)     Profile for jmp  Send Email to jmp     
Forgot E-mail
I have some of this if you need it. Send length and wire bundel size for price.
SuburbanBoy posted 02-07-2002 12:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for SuburbanBoy  Send Email to SuburbanBoy     
Try Sano vs. Sanitary. Ahh the good old days.

Thanks, will do but it will take while.


squernt posted 02-07-2002 01:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for squernt  Send Email to squernt     
There is also the stuff called "spiral wrap" that is made out of teflon that works a little differently but serves the same purpose. It protects the wires/cables from any kind of rubbing or chaffing but it mainly just makes things look more organized and neat.
Whalerdan posted 02-07-2002 09:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for Whalerdan  Send Email to Whalerdan     
Wouldn't you have to disconnect everything to slide that stuff on? Would look nice but seems like kind of a pain to install.
kingfish posted 02-07-2002 03:53 PM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
I use split corrugated plastic flexible tubing, also made and marketed for that purpose. You can (and I do) take a couple of wraps every so often with electrical tape to keep it ship-shape; the tape disappears against the black plastic. For bigger diameters (2" to 3") I use sump pump line and split it myself. it's virtually the same stuff.
seagull posted 02-07-2002 04:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for seagull  Send Email to seagull     
This is the stuff you looking for:

They also make a zippered one.

TightPenny posted 02-08-2002 01:17 PM ET (US)     Profile for TightPenny  Send Email to TightPenny     
Mine came with my engine. It does make the installation much neater.
jimh posted 02-09-2002 12:19 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
The material you are looking for is widely sold by electronic supplier like NEWARK ELECTRONICS as braided flexible nylon tubing.

It is available in many sizes and grades. The better stuff retains its woven characteristics when cut. The cheaper stuff unravels the moment you cut it. There are also grades of flame resistance.

You can also get it with a velcro zipper so you can install it over existing cables.

Newark sells their house brand and also material from ALPHA WIRE. I would expect that these sources would be cheaper than marine stores, but I have not comparison shopped for it.

We use hundreds of feet of it at work. One application is to encase camera cables to robotic camera pedestals. The nylon sheath is very easily dragged across the waxed floor of the studio, eliminating cable drag friction almost completely and allowing the robotic pedestals to move more accurately.

Jim Bennett posted 02-09-2002 12:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for Jim Bennett  Send Email to Jim Bennett     

Phone number or how to get catalog from NEWARK ELECTRONICS


Ventura16 posted 02-09-2002 08:15 AM ET (US)     Profile for Ventura16  Send Email to Ventura16     
Jim, here is Newark's website:


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.