Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Flush Fitting on Suzuki OB?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Flush Fitting on Suzuki OB?
JDH posted 07-08-2002 07:43 PM ET (US)   Profile for JDH   Send Email to JDH  
Hi -

In addition to the drain and fill for the lower unit on my 1989 Suzuki DT-75, there is another identical screw type next to (3" horizontal) the gear case top plug. It has the legend 'Flush' (repeated in French 'Lavage').

What is this for, and how do I use it? I am trying to get a Suzuki Manual, but so far haven't been able to get a PN so the local shop can order one...

jimh posted 07-09-2002 09:13 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Good question. I have the same thing on my 70-HP Yamaha, minus the legend in French.

I don't think the manual mentions this either.

Bigshot posted 07-09-2002 10:46 AM ET (US)     Profile for Bigshot  Send Email to Bigshot     
Merc used to have them waaaay back too. It is a place where you buy a fitting and connect it to a hose and flush the engine. It is a lot easier to use muffs.
Guts posted 02-16-2003 02:19 AM ET (US)     Profile for Guts  Send Email to Guts     
this is used to flush with a hose when in the water. (tied to the dock.)if you use it to flush it out of the water do not run the engion as no water is supplyed to the water pump.
j_h_nimrod posted 02-17-2003 03:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for j_h_nimrod  Send Email to j_h_nimrod     
My 89' Mariner has one of these (though no inscription) that actually goes into the lower unit housing. I was once told that it was to "top off" your lower unit with lube when filling. Just fill it up till lube comes out the first hole which is then capped and then more lube is put in until it comes out the second. Only motor I have seen with this and I have not changed the lube since I was told about it...

Yours sounds more like what Guts and Bigshot are describing because of the inscription.

Timo posted 02-17-2003 01:32 PM ET (US)     Profile for Timo  Send Email to Timo     
BS and Guts are correct...
I have an 1989 DT-85 with the same plug; to be used for in-salt-water flushing only. I never use it because I trailer my 15 Sport and flush with the muffs when home.

I have the Clymer shop manual and can find no reference to the part used for flushing; they only mention the use of muffs.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.