Moderated Discussion Areas
ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
'84 90HP engine cowling repairs
|Author||Topic: '84 90HP engine cowling repairs|
posted 08-15-2002 11:08 PM ET (US)
I've been making repairs to my 90 HP '84 Evinrude engine cowling. The rubber seal was dried out and I replaced that with mixed results. While doing this I noticed that the foam insulation was gritty and easy to pick off. I felt it advisable to remove the insulation to avoid having pieces sucked into the engine. I checked with my local dealer about replacement of the foam insulation. His advice was to leave it bare after removal.
The insulation is apparently for noise reduction and is so thin I tend to think he's right. It probably will make no difference.
I wonder if anyone has a comment about this.
I'd also like to pass on my experience with the replacement of the rubber seal. After applying about half the seal with weatherstrip cement I noticed that the color of the cement changed as I squeezed it from the tube. Apparently the material had separated in the tube. Some parts of the seal stuck to the cowling , others did not. This meant extensive rework. The cement I used was called Super Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive made by Versa-Chem. I would not recommend it.
posted 08-18-2002 02:13 AM ET (US)
Hank! all alone out there? you can purchase foam sandwiched in milar in all sorts of sizes from most marine supply stores or catalogs. it also comes in different widths. this works great as a sound barrier and can be applied to the inside of the cowling with multi-purpose spray on adhesive. just make sure you`re surfaces are clean of oil and left-over foam. as for the seal this needs to be stapled on. that is the way they were originally manufactured. the problem is that the staple size is odd. you may have to purchase or rent an electronic staple gun with the suitable staple size (take an old one with you to the store). steve in el cerrito.
posted 08-19-2002 01:25 PM ET (US)
Steve thanks for the reply. I shall look into the mylar covered foam. I am in the process of doing a final clean-up of the cowling interior. Lots of acetone to get rid of the old cement. The mylar covering sounds like a good way to prevent pieces of foam from entering the engine air intake.
As for the seal, I did finally succeed in cementing it to the cowling. You're quite right when you point out that it is originally stapled to the cowling. I was afraid that stapling would cause the fiberglass to crack.
I just made a poor choice of weather strip adhesive. As a result a simple job became very complex.
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.