Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  I got a bad case of the runs.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   I got a bad case of the runs.
JFM posted 08-16-2002 04:39 PM ET (US)   Profile for JFM   Send Email to JFM  
I just had my "experienced painter"(brother-in-law) paint my Nauset with Imron. We needed to get the boat out of the way, so we sprayed it at about 92 degrees and 100% humidity. It gave us a bad case of the runs.

I called the paint store and they told me to let it dry for 14-16 hours wet sand, buff and wax.

I think it would be better to wet sand after about 24 hours and re shoot.

Any advise to stop the runs would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jay

keltonkrew posted 08-16-2002 04:57 PM ET (US)     Profile for keltonkrew  Send Email to keltonkrew     
wet sand, re-paint if needed. Use a quicker reducer for the ambient air temp as required. The reason for the runs is too thick paint, cure time too slow.
whalersailer posted 08-16-2002 04:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalersailer  Send Email to whalersailer     
Runs in paint are a direct function of 2 things (in this order):

1) too much paint in one coat
2) paint not mixed to the right reduction ratio so that it takes too long to tack up.

Avoiding both of these comes from experience, but I can offer a few pointers. To start, take the time to customize the paint for the conditions. The application manual for Imron should provide plenty of detail here - if not, don't hesitate to call for tech advice. As far as the application goes, laying on too much paint at once is usually a result of trying to get too much done at once ('we needed to get the boat out of the way'). It's pretty rare that 1 coat will do the job properly. The first coat should consist of a very light tack coat followed immediately (as soon as that flashes off) by a full coat. Assuming that this looks good, the final coat can be applied once the first is sufficiently tacked up. If the first coat has some issues, let it go off for 12 hours or so, sand it with 320 or higher, and come back for the final coat (being sure to do the full prep routine before spraying the final coat). One more thing: make sure that everyone in close proximity to the painting has good quality respirators (if you can smell it, your breathing it!). This stuff is very nasty.

JFM posted 08-16-2002 05:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for JFM  Send Email to JFM     
We did the first coat light, waited 15 minutes then came back with 2 heavy coats. The runs all came from under rub rail and under chines.

I'm going to wet her down to 500 and respray Sunday. The humidity will be lower.

Thanks, Jay

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.