Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  duct tape

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   duct tape
bluewater posted 09-05-2002 05:54 PM ET (US)   Profile for bluewater   Send Email to bluewater  
I recently purchased a 78 montauk. the seller duct taped a for sale sign to either side of the hull. how do i remove the sticky tacky remnants of the tape without screwing up the gel coat?
Scirocco posted 09-05-2002 06:00 PM ET (US)     Profile for Scirocco  Send Email to Scirocco     
Acetone... it works

ps. don't forget to use rubber gloves

bluewater posted 09-05-2002 06:07 PM ET (US)     Profile for bluewater  Send Email to bluewater     
You're sure that it won't eat through the gel coat?
Scirocco posted 09-05-2002 06:24 PM ET (US)     Profile for Scirocco  Send Email to Scirocco     
pretty sure, i just use it to take the black tape off my center console. (which had been factory install 20 years ago) it worked like a champ!!

but i'm serious, remember to use rubber gloves!!

bluewater posted 09-05-2002 06:35 PM ET (US)     Profile for bluewater  Send Email to bluewater     
Thanks for the advice. I also need to get that black tape off my console in a bit (not really in that bad of shape yet). Did you replace it?
David Ratusnik posted 09-05-2002 06:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for David Ratusnik  Send Email to David Ratusnik     
Gentlemen- Acetone will do the trick. Won't harm the boat's finish. After the muck is off use a little light rubbing compound (Mc's or 3M) and hit the water. David
bluewater posted 09-05-2002 06:50 PM ET (US)     Profile for bluewater  Send Email to bluewater     
I was told I could use the "goof-off" product from a non-boater. Sure glad I didn
't listen to him. Thanks folks.


Jimm posted 09-05-2002 06:54 PM ET (US)     Profile for Jimm    
WD-40; and it will not hurt the finish.
Scirocco posted 09-05-2002 06:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for Scirocco  Send Email to Scirocco     
haven't replaced the tape yet but i plan to.

the console is currently out of the boat and i'm in the process of COMPLETELY refinishing it.

so far i've riped everything off (gauges, throttle, helm, instruments, handrail, hatches, windsheld). I found that the two plywood backing plates which help mount the console to the deck were in bad shape so i've grinded them out and i've started filling in all misc. screw holes with marinetex

now i'm in the process of re-laminating the two pieces of plywood backing, painting the interior of the console and sanding the exterior (which is gelcoated).

then i'll probably replace the black tape.

i've been photographing everything and i sould have a website up soon.

bluewater posted 09-05-2002 07:03 PM ET (US)     Profile for bluewater  Send Email to bluewater     
Sounds like you have a large project on your hands. I hope you're in the water soon. Good luck!
jimh posted 09-05-2002 08:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Try WD-40
sport15er posted 09-05-2002 08:47 PM ET (US)     Profile for sport15er  Send Email to sport15er     
duct tape... I had to chk this topic..
Anyway, WD-40 is definately the s#%t, I had a building permit duct taped to my front door, and the wd did the trick, with zero residue. You may need 2 cans, but it'll clean it off.
triblet posted 09-06-2002 12:07 AM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
Duct tape is good stuff for some things, but
it really falls apart in the sun. Some good
alternatives are:

The blue masking tape if it doesn't need to
be very strong.

Gaffer's tape if it doesn't need to be water
proof. Gaffer's tape is kinda like duct
tape except it's made of real cloth, and the
adhesive doesn't come off on what it's stuck
too, as long as it isn't there for too long.
The "gaffer" is the electrician on a movie
set who sets up all the lights and such.
Gaffer's tape was originally made for them
to tape down the power cables.

Recently, you can now find it in some
hardware stores. I used to have to get it
from specialty professional photography
stores (not Fox Photo or whatever).


LKS posted 09-06-2002 01:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for LKS  Send Email to LKS     
Try Goo-Be-Gone; available in most any hardware, discount, or drug store. Have seen it at Ace, TrueValue, Menards, Walgreens, Target, and the like. Also works for removing the gummy stuff left behind when removing velcro. -- LKS

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.