Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Removing old snaps from hull

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Removing old snaps from hull
bradenton_whaler posted 03-03-2003 05:27 PM ET (US)   Profile for bradenton_whaler   Send Email to bradenton_whaler  
Has anyone had the pleasure of removing corroded/ rusted snaps from their hull? Mine are remaining from a spray dodger and the front cushions on an 24' O.R. Some of these have "snapped" off leaving a rusted screw w/o the head. Considering chisel, drilling hole, then patching with paste.... Any thoughts or shortcuts?


kingfish posted 03-03-2003 06:37 PM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
I take it these are screw snap studs? If so, they would have a phillips screw head inside the snap body that you should be able to carefully turn out (at least those that aren't already broken off). If they are riveted, just drill them out, probably with a 1/8" bit. As for those that are broken off, because I think the remaining screw might be too small to drill and use an easy-out, I'd try carefully making a small center-punched indent in the remaining portion of the screw with a sharpened center punch or scratch awl and a light hammer, so you can start a drill bit working, again about 1/8" or a little smaller, and try to drill the broken screw out, verry carefully and slowly. Once the metal is removed by whatever method, follow directions that have probably been articulated on the forum a dozen times or more, for repairing screw holes in fiberglass.


etstmeb posted 03-03-2003 08:45 PM ET (US)     Profile for etstmeb  Send Email to etstmeb     
To remove the old screws cleanly go get a craftsman screw removal--these things work--it amazed me when it worked.


crosley95 posted 03-07-2003 11:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for crosley95  Send Email to crosley95     

if they are the same as what was on my '67 16ft. they are riveted in. you have to drill them out. this will leave a small hole that needs to be filled and finished.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.