Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Bear posted 04-14-2003 12:57 PM ET (US)   Profile for Bear   Send Email to Bear  
I'm in the final stages of putting the gas tank back in my 88 20' Outrage and am replacing the ground that goes from the aft part of the tank to a bronze/brass circular disk mounted on the stern below the waterline. I need to replace the circular disk.....anybody have any idea where I may be able to find a replacement??? Thanks...
Gep posted 04-14-2003 01:23 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gep  Send Email to Gep     
You can obtain a bronze grouning plate from Sea Island Marine in North Carolina.
I looked for the paperwork when I got mine and can't find it anymore.
Maybe Kingfish still has this info.
JOHN W MAYO posted 04-14-2003 01:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for JOHN W MAYO  Send Email to JOHN W MAYO     
That circular disk you are talking about, I have one on my transom, below the water line, right side. I have never know what it was for, is that the disk you are saying is a grounding disk?
mustang7nh posted 04-14-2003 03:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for mustang7nh  Send Email to mustang7nh     
I have an 88 also 20OR. When I took of the speedo and fishfinder that didn't work from teh guy I bought it from, I assumed this was some sort of transducer. I ripped it off and cut the wire where it passed through the transom. Is this a safety hazard?
Bear posted 04-14-2003 03:47 PM ET (US)     Profile for Bear  Send Email to Bear     
Yep...closest I can deduct from previous threads on this site, as well as what I've found from essentially taking my whole whaler apart, is the ground path is green wire from fill on port side to attachment point where fill enters the tank. From there is goes through skin of tank to next green wire attachment points at circular plate where the fuel hoses attach. Green wire goes from there to circular disk under water line. After 15 yrs, disk is toast, needs replacing.
kingfish posted 04-14-2003 06:38 PM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
Sea Island Marine, Beaufort, *South Carolina*
Bear posted 04-15-2003 09:52 AM ET (US)     Profile for Bear  Send Email to Bear     
Have contacted Sea Island and they will ship the disk shortly. Thanks again to all for your help!
myotherboatisawhaler posted 04-16-2003 06:16 AM ET (US)     Profile for myotherboatisawhaler  Send Email to myotherboatisawhaler     
just added an internal aluminum fuel tank inside the console of my 84 montauk with the fill and vent through the side of the console. grounded the tank to my main ground bus. do i need to ground it at the fill through the hull to an under water bronze disk as discribed by bear? also disc are available at morehead marine in morehead city north carolina. saw them last weekend while rumaging through inventory of whaler parts.
jimh posted 04-16-2003 09:12 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
I believe the current practice at Boston Whaler is to bond the fuel system to the battery negative. I don't see the round bronze electrode on the transom of the newer boats.
jimh posted 05-25-2003 04:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
This recently added picture in CETACEA shows the electrode being discussed in this article thread:

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.