Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Drain Plug???

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Drain Plug???
tgrobson posted 08-12-2003 04:08 PM ET (US)   Profile for tgrobson   Send Email to tgrobson  
After my last fishing trip, I pulled the plug from my front
fish box ( directly in front of the cooler seat ) on my 22 OR. To my surprise, not only did the plug come out, but the thru hull drain plug tube came out as well. At least most of it did. Has anyone had this experience? How did you repair??


Sal DiMercurio posted 08-12-2003 05:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sal DiMercurio  Send Email to Sal DiMercurio     
Now you keep the boat on the trailer fow a few days at an angle where the trapped water between the hulls can all run out.
Go either to your Whaler dealer or Marine supply & buy a tube long enough the reach between the hulls.
One side will already be rolled.
It takes a special tool to flare the straight side, you most likely will need to cut it to fit , but be sure you leave enough to flare on the inside.
Insert the tube from the bottom, have a friend hold the rolled side flush up against the bottom of the boat with a good sized sledge hammer hard up against it because your going to be in the boat with another hammer banging on the tool to put a roll on the straight side.
It's important that you leave just enough tube to be rolled on the inside because if it's to long, it will just flop around & do nothing, if it's to short, you wont be able to flare or roll it.
Be sure & really slop alot of either 42 or 5200 on it "BEFORE" you insert it in the hole to be flared.
Once you flare it, apply more sealer on both sides, [ inside & out & wipe off the surplus.
If you have a Whaler dealer near you, he might let you use his tool, if not, your gonna need to buy one & I don't have the slightest idea where you can order one.
Buckda posted 08-12-2003 07:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
There is a flaring tool for loan floating around on this site somewhere. Use the site search engine and search for it, the way it works is that the person who has it last must make it available to the next person, and so on.

Hope that helps you get the right tool for the job. Good luck!

kingfish posted 08-12-2003 08:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
Some guys here have been reporting that the plastic thru-hull drain tubes are a lot easier to work with and give a much higher likelihood of success...


tgrobson posted 08-12-2003 09:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for tgrobson  Send Email to tgrobson     
Thanks for the input. as usual, I knew someone out there had to have experience.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.