Forum: WHALER
  ContinuousWave
  Whaler
  Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  filling old rubrail holes: 5200 or Marine Tex

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   filling old rubrail holes: 5200 or Marine Tex
humboldt jim posted 04-07-2004 12:40 PM ET (US)   Profile for humboldt jim   Send Email to humboldt jim  
I just oredered a rub-rail replacement kit for my 83 Outrage from Twin Cities. The kit comes with rivets for securing, same way my existing one is secured. I plan to try my best to dig out, drill, and push through all of the old rivets, then fill each of those little holes.

Herein lies my question: For those of you who have succesfully been through this process, what did you use to fill the old holes? Twin Cities recommends 5200, but I am concerned that if my new rub-rail lines up with the 5200 filled holes it may not be strong enough to hold the new rivets. Maybe Marine Tex shot into the holes with a syringe is a safer bet. Any thoughts?

TomNMiami posted 04-07-2004 09:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for TomNMiami  Send Email to TomNMiami     
I had the same delima in Aug when I replaced my rub rail. When I pulled the the old rail off, most of the rivets came out too. The ones were left, I pushed into the hull. Then I used a syringe to pump Marine Tex into each hole. I also used it to fill in some other voids I found under the old rail.

I used the SS screws supplied with the new rail, and 5200 to secure it to the boat. I found that the Marine Tex provided a VERY strong platform to run the screws into...it ended up stronger than the fiberglass.

Good luck fighting the snake!

Tom

alkar posted 04-08-2004 12:11 AM ET (US)     Profile for alkar  Send Email to alkar     
Ditto. I did just what Tom did and it worked perfectly.

A sunny, hot, day makes the rub rail easier to work during installation - especially when it comes to the corners.

humboldt jim posted 04-08-2004 02:17 AM ET (US)     Profile for humboldt jim  Send Email to humboldt jim     
Thanks for the replies. As I get further into this project, I see it's not going to be simple. I am finding waterlogged wood plugs and other nasty stuff under the old receiver track.

One thing that is confusing me is the transom portions of the receiver track were secured to small starboard-like rectangular pieces. These rectangular pieces remain in place at this time, secured by rivets. They appeared to provide a good fit for the old reciever track, acting as a "shim." I am wondering if I should pry them off or leave.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:


Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.