Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Performance
  will OMC throttle work w/ 2001 Merc?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   will OMC throttle work w/ 2001 Merc?
John O posted 01-29-2003 09:40 PM ET (US)   Profile for John O  
Will my OMC Bin. control for a 1988 Johnson 88hp work with a 2001 Merc 75hp 2 stroke classic? Cables are in poor shape and will need to be replaced. Would like to use the mount already installed (OMC). It has power T/T button wired and capped inside console.

New Merc Bin. Control cost $200.00 plus

John O posted 01-30-2003 08:06 AM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
yes or no. Searched back 2 years. Only some info regarding OMC/Suzuki
John O posted 01-30-2003 04:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Anybody ?????
rwill1 posted 01-30-2003 07:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for rwill1  Send Email to rwill1     
You can make nearly anything work with modifications. However, your best option is to buy the Merc control and sell your current one on Ebay.

Aside from the electrical sorting out thats needed, the touchy issue is having a mixed cable. OMC on one end, Merc on the other. The standard travel is 3 inches for all brands I believe.

Lil Whaler Lover posted 01-31-2003 07:15 AM ET (US)     Profile for Lil Whaler Lover  Send Email to Lil Whaler Lover     
Check out Morse controls and cables. If Morse cannot provide what you need, it is not likely that it can be done with out making the fittings yourself.
newt posted 01-31-2003 10:26 AM ET (US)     Profile for newt  Send Email to newt     
Seatech Marine in Rowley had a used one last fall. I think he was looking for $100 for it. Sorry I can't answer your question though.
jimh posted 01-31-2003 11:24 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
What does the abbreviation "Bin." mean?
Whalerdan posted 01-31-2003 11:52 AM ET (US)     Profile for Whalerdan  Send Email to Whalerdan     
I'm sure he means "Binnacle". Seems pretty obivous.
hooter posted 01-31-2003 11:57 AM ET (US)     Profile for hooter    
Ah took it t'refer t'the throttle, or handle end o'the cable, actually misusing the word, "binacle", abreviated as "bin.". A binacle is the li'l stand or mount that only goes under a compass, accordin' to Mr. Webster, but Ah've heard that word mis-used t'refer to the throttle stand before.
jimh posted 01-31-2003 01:32 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
I think that "Top Mount" is a better description for what the author intended to describe. Most of the control manufacturers use that term.

A binnacle mount control mounts on the sides of the binnacle pedestal. This is often seen on sailboats. We had binnacle mounted controls on the sides of our Edson steering pedestal in our sailboat.

Side mount controls mount on the side of the cockpit bulwark.

Top mount controls--which seem often to be referred to as binnacle mount--mount on the top of the console.

One could argue that on a center console outboard boat the entire console is a "binnacle" since that is what the compass is mounted to, but that is a stretch.

Checking the Teleflex catalogue I don't find they use the term binnacle mount for any of their products.

jimh posted 01-31-2003 01:40 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Back to John O's original question:

I would strongly recommend getting new shift and throttle controls that match the new engine. With the exception of boats that have the classic Morse or Teleflex top mount controls, I cannot imagine using a brand of helm and throttle controls that don't match the a new engine.

Compared to the total cost and effort involved in repowering, buying and installing the matching controls is not really extravagant.

John O posted 01-31-2003 04:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards new. A fresh start so to speak.

"Bin."was the way all(3) the Mercury dealers wrote up the price quotes for me for a binnacle mount control. Russo Marine (a Whaler dealer wrote "Bin. Cont."with a Mercury part # 88688A25. They all asked 'is it a side mount or binnacle?'. Maybe it is a Northeast thing. I'll be sure to correct them AFTER the sale.

Dick posted 02-02-2003 07:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
The OMC control can be used with a Merc engine.
You would use Teleflex/Morse 3300 cablels with OMC adapters on the control ends and Merc adapters on the engine ends.

This is not the best way to go however. Anytime you add adapters to control cables you add slopp which is the last thing you want. Change the control and run Teleflex/Morse or Merc cables.


John O posted 02-03-2003 09:30 AM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Thanks Dick,

I am sold on getting a Mercury Control and avoiding any problems.

John O

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.