Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Is charging regulated on mid 80s OMC V4s?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Is charging regulated on mid 80s OMC V4s?
bsmotril posted 10-24-2005 03:37 PM ET (US)   Profile for bsmotril   Send Email to bsmotril  
I've got an 86 Evinrude 90 HP V4, and I am seeing up to 16.2-16.4 volts for exteneded periods of time while running. The battery is only a month old, never been depleted, and kept on a tender when the boat is not in use. No other electrical glitches, or high current drain accessories. Just an LCD fishfinder, and small Garmin GPS. Does anyone know if the charging output on those motors is supposed to be regulated? Is 16 plus volts normal? What should I be checking?
minitauk85 posted 10-24-2005 07:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for minitauk85  Send Email to minitauk85     
bsmotril-read the thread from 10/4 titled "battery leaking acid"- I think you'll find it useful-k
Sheila posted 10-25-2005 04:27 AM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
We have a 1986 Johnson v-4 90 and a 1973 Johnson 65. I found that thread very instructive, Minitauk. Thanks for sharing.
jimh posted 10-25-2005 11:28 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
How about a URI for this interesting thread?
Sheila posted 10-25-2005 11:43 AM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Here is the thread:
bsmotril posted 10-25-2005 12:11 PM ET (US)     Profile for bsmotril  Send Email to bsmotril     
Thank you, I remember that post, but could not find it. Thank you for the URL. Next Question: Does anyone have a pet voltage regulation circuit schematic that would take a 12-17 volt input and regulate it to say 12-13 volts, with a 1amp max current draw? Rather than regulate the total output, I would rather build simple circuit to regulate my gps and fishfinder feeds. BillS
jimh posted 10-25-2005 05:42 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Get a three-terminal voltage regulator IC. Google for a schematic on Circuit Cellar or similar website. Or the application notes from the IC maker. You can build one for about $3.
Sheila posted 10-26-2005 03:45 AM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Bill, you're welcome. I'll be following with interest your resolution to this situation.
minitauk85 posted 10-26-2005 06:08 AM ET (US)     Profile for minitauk85  Send Email to minitauk85     
Sheila-your welcome! I wish I could say it was "my pleasure" however this would not be honest- the diagnostic (took it to the 1st mechanic who didn't know much about this particular problem) and dropped $250 with no results. Fried my depth finder and tachometer before my second mechanic (with help) figured out the aftermarket part solution. I'm still not convinced that both tach and depth finder (Humminbird Pirhanna II) are fried. Does anyone have any advice? Mechanic says the depth finder is getting power.-k
minitauk85 posted 10-26-2005 06:10 AM ET (US)     Profile for minitauk85  Send Email to minitauk85     
Geez...sounds like "denial" about the tach and depth finder. What's next? anger, bargaining,heavy drinking...then winter....k
2manyboats posted 10-26-2005 08:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for 2manyboats  Send Email to 2manyboats     
The imput voltage on many marine electronics has a wide range. humminbird specs show the range for your depthfinder to be 10 to 20 volts. You didn't say what gps you have but most garmin specs show a range of 10 to 40 volts.

The manufactures do this so they don't have to make two of every model to cover the boats with 24 volt systems.

That said I don't see 16 volts hurting your electronics and given the voltage drop of dc current you most likely are get less at all your lights and other accessories.

jimh posted 10-26-2005 08:50 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Back to the initial question: was the engine charging output regulated? Sound like it might not have been.

What is "the aftermarket part solution"?

minitauk85 posted 10-26-2005 05:18 PM ET (US)     Profile for minitauk85  Send Email to minitauk85     
Jimh-I've had a couple of folks ask me(off-site thru email) about the part my mechanic installed so I thought I'd share this info about the "after market part". The part my mechanic put on my 1988 70 hp Johnson VRO (disconnected)is called a regulator kit -the box the part came in from Bombardier/Evinrude/Johnson is part number 173640, it simply says "REG KIT V-4 V-6" in the area labeled "description". It cost $123.00 plus another $50 to install. This is a whole lot more than the $3 price you put on building a 3 terminal regulator yourself-certainly seems worth it to "do-it yourself" if it has the same outcome. As far as whether the part from Bombardier worked or not-so far I have not had a reading on my voltmeter over 14.4 although I have not been able to run the boat as much as I'd have liked to lately-k
davej14 posted 10-27-2005 03:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for davej14  Send Email to davej14     
If you decide to build up a three terminal regulator solution, be sure the components you use are rated for industrial temperature (-40 deg C to +85 deg C). Standard commercial temp range parts will only be within specifications from 0 deg C to 70 deg C. Also be sure to use an adequate heatsink. Be aware that the "tab" on the component is electrically "hot", so the heatsink will be also.
jimh posted 10-27-2005 10:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
If the part came in a BOMBARDIER box, it sounds like an OEM part, not an aftermarket part.
minitauk85 posted 10-28-2005 08:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for minitauk85  Send Email to minitauk85     
I stand corrected! I was thinking "aftermarket" meant after that particular model has been put "on the market". What does OEM stand for?-k
kingfish posted 10-28-2005 09:32 AM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     
"Original Equipment Manufacturer".
lorin posted 10-31-2005 11:46 PM ET (US)     Profile for lorin  Send Email to lorin     
One way to definitely determine if the output is regulated is to look at a parts catalog. If it is regulated, the part will be called a rectifier/regulator. (If not it will just be called a rectifier). I used to work on these motors extensively and I'm almost postive this motor does have a rectifier/regulator. If so, it is water cooled and is located in back of the flywheel and partially under the flywheel. A service manual will tell you what the output should be.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.