Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  1997 OUTRAGE 20: Bilge Pump Wiring

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   1997 OUTRAGE 20: Bilge Pump Wiring
Daniel Hunsberger posted 05-07-2006 03:55 PM ET (US)   Profile for Daniel Hunsberger   Send Email to Daniel Hunsberger  
I am looking for the bilge pump location or a wiring diagram for 1997 Outrage 20. Help.
jimh posted 05-08-2006 07:58 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Boston Whaler generally uses a centrifugal pump for evacuating water from the hull sump. These pumps are not self priming and have to be located at or below the level of the water they are to move. Therefore, the pump will typically be found located at the lowest point of the hull's interior space.

A good way to determine where the hull's interior space's lowest point is located is to intentionally pour some water into it. The water will collect at the lowest place. This is where the sump pump should be located.

All of the diagrams available for from CONTINUOSWAVE are listed in the Reference Section. See:

Drawings of Boston Whaler Components Available Online

For a relatively recently made boat like a 1997 Boston Whaler, you should be able to get a wiring diagram from the factory. Contact Boston Whaler customer service to see if a diagram is available.

A guide for wiring cockpit sump pumps as often seen on Boston Whaler boats is available in the Reference section. See:

Cockpit Sump Pump

rumrunner posted 05-08-2006 08:25 AM ET (US)     Profile for rumrunner  Send Email to rumrunner     
On my 1997 Outrage 20, the bilge pump is located under the rear access hatch, in front of the motor.
I have the wiring color codes for the boat, but not with me where I am now. If you still need help in a few days, let me know and I can dig them out.
phatwhaler posted 05-08-2006 09:08 AM ET (US)     Profile for phatwhaler  Send Email to phatwhaler     

On my Outrage 20 the bilge pump is located right where rumrunner said, in the bilge area in front of the motor. If you have the fish box pump out system you'll see two pumps in the bilge. The one screwed to the hull is the bilge pump. My boat came with an Attwood model that's available at Walmart. It's a 1250 gpm model. If you need to replace it my advice to you is pay someone else to do it. I got pretty [vulgar expression] trying to change it out between the white sanitation hose and the fact that the pump is hard to access. I would buy the pump at Wally world and have it installed somewhere.

As for wiring. There are three wires that go to the bilge pump. 1. a black ground wire. 2. An always hot wire that feeds the float switch. 3. A wire coming from the dash switch that activates the pump when you want it to. These wires leave the switch panel area inside the console and run down the tunnel to the back of the boat.

A couple points about this job. Make sure you use some 3m 5200 in the screw holes the secure the pump to the hull. Make sure you use some heat shrink butt connectors to make new connections. I would also replace the float switch at the same time.

phatwhaler out.

jimh posted 05-08-2006 08:08 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
The color codes of wiring used by Boston Whaler are shown in the Reference section. See:

As already mentioned, the wiring configuration has been described in a diagram provided in an article in the Reference section. See above for a hyperlink.

Daniel Hunsberger posted 05-09-2006 06:32 AM ET (US)     Profile for Daniel Hunsberger  Send Email to Daniel Hunsberger     
Your replies have been great. I located the rear pump. I still have two console switches that I thought were for pumps. From what you all say, I have only one bilge pump. What are the other switches for?
wayne baker posted 05-10-2006 01:18 PM ET (US)     Profile for wayne baker  Send Email to wayne baker     
On my 1997 I have a switch that runs a pump to pump out my bilge, and one to pump out my fish boxes. I believe it is labeled as pump1 and pump 2.If I am not mistaken there is at least one or two spare toggle switches to the right of that.
oroseiwhaler posted 05-11-2006 05:47 PM ET (US)     Profile for oroseiwhaler    
my Outrage 23 has a second bilge pump in the console called the sump pump.

Maybe on your Outrage 20 there is also a sump pump.

best regards

drd posted 05-11-2006 08:39 PM ET (US)     Profile for drd  Send Email to drd     
Like Phatwhaler said, there are 2 pumps one for the fish boxes, and a bilge pump. On my dash the bilge pump switch works the bilge pump. I'm not sure if the pump is automatic as I hardly ever get water in my bilge, and as a result the pump has never come on automatically. The pump 1 switch works my fishboxes. I also have a pump2 switch which doesn't do anything, I believe it would be for a washdown or livewell, unfortunitly I have neither. I agree with Phatwhaler on replacing the pump, unless you have long thin arms and are very flexable.
Daniel Hunsberger posted 05-20-2006 09:24 AM ET (US)     Profile for Daniel Hunsberger  Send Email to Daniel Hunsberger     
Where is the access panel for the sump pump located?
jimh posted 05-20-2006 11:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Contact Boston Whaler Customer Service for advice on locating the sump pump in your 1997 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 20. They can send you information on your boat. I am surprised this is not covered in the owner's manual.
rumrunner posted 05-20-2006 01:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for rumrunner  Send Email to rumrunner     
I have an owner's manual for a 97 Outrage. It is quite generic in nature, and unfortunately covers the "legalese" of boating as opposed to useful information pertaining to that specific model.
It makes no mention of any of the plugs, and really no more about the bilge pump than where the switch is located.
jimh posted 05-20-2006 02:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Call Chuck Bennett--I am sure he can tell you. Actually, Boston Whaler pays him to tell you that sort of stuff--Can you imagine a job like that?
drd posted 05-22-2006 09:36 AM ET (US)     Profile for drd  Send Email to drd     
The access plate/hatch is located in the engine well.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.