Moderated Discussion Areas
ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
|Author||Topic: Tidy Wiring|
posted 04-03-2007 12:20 PM ET (US)
I have what can only be described as a bird's nest of wires inside my console, and it is time to check all the wiring over and tidy things up.
The fellow that looks after my home computer has a system of grouping computer wires into small, individual bundles inside the computer. Does anyone have any system or even just some suggestions for dealing with inside-the-connsole wiring?
posted 04-03-2007 12:37 PM ET (US)
Same idea, just use the little plastic zip ties to lace the wires every 3-4"
posted 04-03-2007 01:04 PM ET (US)
Also, if you have a long run, use the split conduit to bundle the wires. Works well for going between fuse panel and console face, but is a bit of a pain if you have lots of wires coming out. During my rewire project, I used the conduit to get the wire to the console face and then used the small zip ties to bundle from there. I used larger zip ties at the support points.
|Casco Bay Outrage||
posted 04-04-2007 12:49 PM ET (US)
I rewired my console last year.
Here are before and after photos. It actually came out better than these show.
Before doing ANYTHING, draw a detailed diagram of all the wires, where they go, colors etc.
Figure out what changes you want to make. I decided to move gauges around and also install a bus bar. It is important to know this before you start.
When I disassembled the wiring, I marked both ends of a wire with tape and wrote on it what it came from and where it went. (This saved me a big headache several times when I got totally confused).
I removed all the old connectors and installed new ones.
I found several highways of wires:
From the tunnel to top of console (e.g gps, vhf antenna)
I established the routes first, then started running the wires. For small groups of wire I used wire loom. For larger groups I used bilge hose.
I used loose zips to keep everything together. After all testing to make sure it was all working, I covered in loom and then did the final zip ties over the loom.
I took Jim H's advice included extra length for the panels so I can pull the panel out.
You can read about my project here http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001017.html
posted 04-04-2007 07:36 PM ET (US)
Another note- I am using all Ancor heat shrink adhesive lined ring or butt connectors at wire ends or splices. On larger wires over 10 gauge where I couldn't find the proper crimps, I remove the insulator from the crimp terminal and then use adhesive lined shrink tubing to seal the connection and provide some strain relief.
My wiring was an absolute mess in my console- in some instances, there were 4 splices in a 2 foot piece of wire. After trying to straighten it out, I found it easier to just rip all the old wiring out and start fresh. I cut the wires in a convenient spot to place a splice and then marked them.
PS- I found a piece of teak 3/8 x 5 3/4 x 6 feet for $60 at Boaters World to replace the aluminum panels on the dash. They look sweet.
posted 04-04-2007 10:37 PM ET (US)
Thanks, everyone. Excellent suggestions and information.
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.