Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  FRS/GMRS Radios

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   FRS/GMRS Radios
Jefecinco posted 02-17-2008 06:57 PM ET (US)   Profile for Jefecinco   Send Email to Jefecinco  
We use our FRS radios for a lot of purposes primarily while travelling in two vehicles or while out in two boats.

Yesterday I purchased a set of replacements as one of our old FRS PTT switches was beginning to operate erratically. In my ignorance what I bought was a FRS/GMRS radio set vice an FRS radio set that we have been using. I was attracted by the longer range available and the privacy codes and other features.

While setting up the new radios I discovered that GMRS requires an FCC license to operate.... even if you use only the FRS channels. Well, OK, I said I'll just get the license. Then I learned the fee for a license is $85 which is about what I paid for the radios including sales tax.

Im normally a very law abiding person but, I'm tempted to be a scofflaw in this case. It's pretty clear to me that the only reason for the license is to generate revenue and I kind of figure I already provide the Government with more than my share.

I'd appriciate hearing your opinions on the appropritness of the $85 fee for a GMRS license. I'm pretty sure you amatuer radio guys will encourage me to pay the fee and get the license, eh?



David Pendleton posted 02-18-2008 01:30 PM ET (US)     Profile for David Pendleton  Send Email to David Pendleton     
It's not only "required" that you obtain a license but whomever is going to use the other radio.

I have an amateur radio license, and I never really understood the GMRS license fees. I didn't pay anywhere near $85.00 for my license.

If I were you, I'd get a amateur technicians license. You have to take a test (no test is required for GMRS), but it isn't hard. A technicians license will allow you to use much more capable (and fun) 2-meter and 70-cm radios, too.

You don't have to be a hardcore radio geek.

Check this URI for more information:


jimh posted 02-18-2008 01:42 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
This article explains the rules regarding licensing: id=general_mobile

I'd take that radio back and get a VHF Marine Band Radio with FRS capability.

Moe posted 02-18-2008 11:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for Moe  Send Email to Moe     
The fee is what it is. Buy a license for you and one for the other operator... or take the radios back and get the right ones for the job(s). You won't get any sympathy for breaking the law from me.

For information on GMRS "privacy" codes, Google CTCSS.

(who's wife just got her Technician license and is in a General license course now)

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.