Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Boston Whaler Dimmer Control

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Boston Whaler Dimmer Control
AirForceBoat posted 02-14-2013 10:32 AM ET (US)   Profile for AirForceBoat   Send Email to AirForceBoat  
Where can [I] find a new dimmer control [for a 2003] 27' Vigilant Patrol Boat?
jimh posted 02-14-2013 10:35 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Make a close visual inspection of the existing device for a model number and manufacturer name. It is very unlikely the boat builder fabricated the part himself. Look for the OEM for a replacement.
AirForceBoat posted 02-14-2013 09:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for AirForceBoat  Send Email to AirForceBoat     
There is no name, only a circle with a diamond shape and F in the center. What OEM would that be? Cast Metal case with cooling fins on the back.
jimh posted 02-14-2013 09:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Use GOOGLE IMAGE to look for the logo of the OEM.
jimh posted 02-17-2013 09:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Use the resource of the website hyperlinked below to identify the manufacturer of an electrical or electronic component from their visual logo markings:

ASIDE: The above website was located as the top response to the GOOGLE search on the argument "electronic manufacturer logos".

A good way to solicit help in identifying visual markings is to provide a visual image of the markings. A narrative description of the visual markings may not convey all the particulars of the visual markings. I recommend that, if you want to solicit help in identifying a component by its visual markings, you provide an image of the markings.

An electrical dimmer control is often just a rheostat of a particular range of resistance and a particular wattage. It is unlikely that a particular rheostat used in a Boston Whaler lamp dimmer circuit possesses special characteristics. A replacement could be made with a rheostat of similar resistance range and wattage, as long as the physical size of the replacement allowed fitting to the exiting location on the dashboard.

A good way to locate replacement electrical or electronic parts is to browse the on-line catalogues of electrical and electronic part suppliers. The vendor Digi-Key has a very good on-line catalogue. It is common now that on-line catalogues provide links for component data sheets. The component data sheets typically contained detailed drawings of component physical dimensions, as well as detailed specifications. It should be reasonably straightforward to deduce if a particular generic rheostat could be used as a replacement part for a specific application.

It is very common that electrical and electronic components contain some markings that indicate the part number or the value of the component. In the case of a rheostat, the resistance could be measured with a meter. If the resistive element of the rheostat is no longer intact, it may be possible to disassemble the device and measure the resistance by probing directly into the resistive material.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.