Forum: WHALER
  ContinuousWave
  Whaler
  Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Trips and Rendezvous
  Michigan Color Cruise - October 2004

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Michigan Color Cruise - October 2004
Royboy posted 09-07-2004 01:37 PM ET (US)   Profile for Royboy   Send Email to Royboy  
Anyone up for a color cruise in October? I will be travelling to Alpena to pick up my boat and it's new bimini top the fist weekend in October. I was thinking perhaps the Black River or the Cheboygan River, or maybe even the Torch River/chain of Lakes. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

Roy

Buckda posted 09-07-2004 04:50 PM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
I'm game. I need the first weekend to celebrate a family birthday, but after that am mostly free and very interested.

Dave

djahncke posted 09-09-2004 09:15 AM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

It sounds like fun. The weekend of October 9th won't work for me other than that I'm open.
home Aside posted 09-10-2004 01:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for home Aside  Send Email to home Aside     
Roy,
I'm game for a color cruise......I'll have to see what date it's going to be pretty soon so I can request the time off work......I'll be monitoring this threat to see what develops...

Pat

Royboy posted 09-10-2004 09:26 PM ET (US)     Profile for Royboy  Send Email to Royboy     
I was suggesting the first weekend in October, which is 10/2 and 10/3, but only because that's when I'm picking up my boat and it's new bimini in Alpena. The last two weekends don't work well for me because I'm becoming a new Grandpa about that time, and I think new Grandpa's are expected to be around to take the new Grandma to see her new Grandbaby, or something like that.

I see all the usual supects are lining up, except Outre, who is likely out Whalering somewhere. Does anyone know when the peak colors can be expected on the Northern waters?

Roy
13 Sport
"Ichthus"

home Aside posted 09-11-2004 01:35 AM ET (US)     Profile for home Aside  Send Email to home Aside     
I'm thinking around the first of October the change ought to be moving along pretty fast in Northern Lower Penninsula. My parents live in Lewiston, Mi, I can give them a call this weekend and see what the current indications are now, and we can go from there...

Pat

djahncke posted 09-11-2004 10:36 AM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

Last year the colors around Mullett were peak around mid October. So, early to mid October are probably the best guess for this year.
Buckda posted 09-12-2004 12:39 AM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
While interested, I will be unavailable that weekend for a family event.

If you choose to move it to the second weekend in October, I am in.

Regards,

Dave

djahncke posted 09-14-2004 04:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

As I read the thread it seems that:

1. We are guessing the color peak to be early to mid October.

2. Buckda can't make it the first weekend (Oct 2nd)

3. Royboy can't make it the last two weekends (Oct 23rd & Oct 30th).

4. Djahncke can't make it the second weekend (Oct 9th).

So it seems that the best weekend for everyone would be October 15th. If you all like we could use my cottage for a base of operation. The dock will probably be taken in for the season, but we would have a warm dry place at the end of the day.


-Don

sportroyalwulf posted 09-19-2004 09:47 PM ET (US)     Profile for sportroyalwulf  Send Email to sportroyalwulf     
Has anyone gone through the chain of lakes. I was at torch lake recently. Is the water way as navigable as the inland waterway??
Royboy posted 09-20-2004 11:08 AM ET (US)     Profile for Royboy  Send Email to Royboy     
I've launched at the North end of Elk lake, traversed Skeegemog Lake and cruised up the Torch River to Torch Lake. It's all very navigable except for the launch at Elk Rapids, which is strewn with submerged logs. Very tricky finding a path to the channel there, and the ramp is dirt. I'm guessing there's a better launch (like at the Elk Rapids Marina), but I haven't looked hard enough.

Don't know where you can go from Torch, but I believe there are more lakes connected there.

Roy

djahncke posted 09-21-2004 02:38 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

Here we are the last full day of summer. That means the time for color tours is fast approaching and we don't yet have any firm plans.

Who is still interested in a color cruise? How about everyone check in with:

1) Their preference for dates.

2) Their preference for location.


Then we will be able to firm up some plans.


-Don

jimh posted 09-27-2004 12:44 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
We launched several years ago at Elk Rapids at a marina just above the dam. No problem with debris, and it was a good ramp with a modest fee.
Buckda posted 09-27-2004 12:14 PM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
Don -

I'm still available the weekend after this coming weekend and therafter..though the later we go, the fewer leaves/color there will be.

I liked the idea of Mullet Lake again - perhaps this time going north to Cheboygan and the big lake....

Dave

Royboy posted 09-28-2004 01:08 PM ET (US)     Profile for Royboy  Send Email to Royboy     
My plans have all gone cattywompas. You guys pick a date and place and I'll do my best. Thanks for the info on the ramp at Elk Rapids, jimh. I gave it a cursory glance, but didn't see much in the way of parking there so used the "kentucky" ramp across the highway.

Roy

djahncke posted 09-29-2004 10:23 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

Ok, let' plan on the 16th of October.

We can meet at my cottage on Friday night. Launch on Saturday morning and plan on doing the Cheboygan and Black Rivers. If the weather is nice enough we could even try going out on to Lake Huron or enjoy the colors around Mullett Lake.

So far it looks like Buckda and myself. Anyone else care to join us?

-Don

home Aside posted 09-30-2004 08:00 PM ET (US)     Profile for home Aside  Send Email to home Aside     
The weekend of the 15th isn't looking too good for me, Not impossible, but not good either at this point, of course none of the other weekends would be a cake walk for me either, I'll keep observing the thread and I'll let you know...

Pat

Buckda posted 10-06-2004 11:20 AM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
I'm still in on this...how are the leaves holding on up there? Gonna make it?

djahncke posted 10-06-2004 09:32 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     
I'm heading up tomorrow with my brother-in-law to get some of the fall work done around the cottage. I'll post a color report.
sportroyalwulf posted 10-07-2004 04:25 PM ET (US)     Profile for sportroyalwulf  Send Email to sportroyalwulf     

Here is a picture of the color a little to the s.w.

http://www.lelandreport.com/

djahncke posted 10-10-2004 04:45 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     
I just got back from a "work" weekend at the cottage with my brother and brother-in-law. The colors around Cheboygan were not yet peak. Depending on the weather this next week we could be just at peak or a little before peak next weekend.

-Don

jimh posted 10-10-2004 11:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
We were "up north" this weekend. The 40-degree temperatures in the morning should probably be turning those leaves...

Did get out for a sunny boat ride on Sunday. Air = 56; Water = 57.

--jimh

Buckda posted 10-11-2004 09:17 AM ET (US)     Profile for Buckda  Send Email to Buckda     
We were out in Holland/Port Sheldon/Grand Haven this weekend = 38 Degrees Sat. Night...nice to have the Disc Furnace in the boat.

I have to bow out of this trip, however, due to a broken shift cable (I think) on the Gambler. I'll have to re-rig the cable (and am considering just replacing all the controls) this weekend.

Sorry guys.

Dave

TomG posted 10-11-2004 09:58 AM ET (US)     Profile for TomG  Send Email to TomG     
I've been following this thread in hopes I might be able to make it, but my schedule is just too crazy right now.

We did drive our big boat from Ludington to Grand Haven on Sunday for it's haulout. We had intended to leave on Saturday morning but the 40 kt. winds and the 6-8 footers on Lake Michigan chased us off...so we took a drive up the coast to Frankfort...beautiful colors and a beautiful day.

On Sunday, the wind had shifted to the East...we had less than 1 footers on the lake and a great 3 hr. cruise down to Grand Haven...not a lot of boat traffic on the lake, but we saw a few folks enjoying the last vestiges of the season.

We are in the process of moving to West Michigan (Grand Haven area) and downshifting a bit, so hopefully next season we'll get to more Whaler rendezvous' and get to see you all. Enjoy the fall!

Tom

djahncke posted 10-11-2004 10:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for djahncke  Send Email to djahncke     

Well in reviewing this thread it looks like everyone has dropped out. The long range weather forcast doesn't look good either. So, it looks like this will be one rendezvous that never was. Perhaps we will have better luck with a color cruise next year.

Royboy posted 10-12-2004 11:03 AM ET (US)     Profile for Royboy  Send Email to Royboy     
Well, it was a nice thought anyway. Thanks for you help in trying to pull this together, Don.

Roy

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:


Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.