Forum: WHALER
  ContinuousWave
  Whaler
  Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Trips and Rendezvous
  Proposed Trip to San Clemente Island 5/29/05

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Proposed Trip to San Clemente Island 5/29/05
c_mccann posted 05-23-2005 07:35 PM ET (US)   Profile for c_mccann   Send Email to c_mccann  
Shiela and I managed to unfold a San Clemente Island Trip while laughing at her for flooding her cuddy on her 25' Revenge. Here are the details, feel free to fill in anything that makes better sense than what I've proposed.
Meet at 6-7 AM at a set of coordinates outside of the 9 bank off the front side of SCI, then fish from there. Buddy boating would be preferable, but I know Shiela needs to leave from Dana Point marina, and I prefer to leave from L.A. harbor. With our distances from each other, staying in radio contact should be no problem. We fish until 2 or 3 PM at various locations then depart for our home ports, or Catalina if you want to go there. For this trip, your boat must have fuel for a 140 mile range at a minimum, and all these plans are tenative pending weather as always. Our target is to see SCI, and chase big bass and Yellowtail around. I personally will be using jigs iron and chum, having other boats with live bait capacity will be a plus. Who's interested?
Sheila posted 05-24-2005 01:58 AM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Casey, I think you know by now that we're in! Let's see who else we can round up.The cuddy is dryed nicely, by the way.
17 bodega posted 05-24-2005 11:53 AM ET (US)     Profile for 17 bodega  Send Email to 17 bodega     
I would be interested if the time and weather permitted... I am also looking into a channel island trip this year if I can swing it. I'm juggling stuff with my kids so try to throw out a tenative date.

Steve

17 bodega posted 05-24-2005 11:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for 17 bodega  Send Email to 17 bodega     
I think my fuel range would be limited to channel islands from oxynard or Sam Clemente from SD harbor. I'll look for some navigational links to these trips for some ideas on fuel and so forth.

Steve

Sheila posted 05-24-2005 01:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Steve,
this particular outing is for this coming Sunday. But we'll do it more than once, I'm sure.

Casey, we're actually running out of Oceanside these days. How about some coordinates to meet up at?

And who else wants to go?

c_mccann posted 05-24-2005 05:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
let me check up on some coordinates that make sense to both of us. I'll post back with them.. Steve- what boat are you running, a 17 footer?
17 bodega posted 05-24-2005 05:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for 17 bodega  Send Email to 17 bodega     
Yes... a 16'7" to be exact... I would have to pick my days and run from Oxynard to the Channels.. or a similar direct route with a fleet of boats preferably.

I've heard it done in smaller vessels...but I'm not crazy enough to do it without a lot of forethought.

My last run to the channel islands was in a 24' wellcraft airslot... I would feel safer in my small whaler.

Steve

Sheila posted 05-24-2005 08:23 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
As you know, Casey, we have a livewell ;)

Anybody with a smaller vessel who would like to launch out of Oceanside and buddy boat out with Jeff and me is welcome to do so.

mikeyairtime posted 05-25-2005 11:11 AM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
I may be in. The problem with my 170 Montauk is that I won't know if I'm going until a Saturday evening weather check. If I go I'll be running out of LA Harbor past the east end of Catalina then to San Clemente. That way if the weather looks sketchy we'll just stay and fish Catalina. I'd be headed home by noon if I did go unless the forecast called for perfect weather.
c_mccann posted 05-25-2005 12:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
I've been on the weather sites checking the bouys and it seems ok for Sunday, though a bit of morning fog might be expected. Mikey- Where are you leaving out of? If you are planning on shooting the east end then Clemente, you must be heading out of LA, LB or Huntington... You can follow me or Shiela out, I have radar. Do you have bait as well? Obviously, if the channel between Catalina and Clemente is snotty, we'll go to plan B and fish either the 277 area or Catalina, but the bouys look good. With Shiela's new custom cuddy livewell, she can compete with the sporties out there, how many scoops is your cuddy??
Sheila posted 05-25-2005 01:14 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
1000s, I believe. Casey, are you heading out Saturday night or Sunday morning?
c_mccann posted 05-25-2005 01:37 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
Sunday AM.
mikeyairtime posted 05-25-2005 03:40 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
We'd be leaving from Cabrillo or the new ramp by the Queen Mary. Yes we've got live bait. I've got a 27 gallon tank that can carry a full scoop. If I went I'd be leaving at around 0400. You guys should pick a channel to work on.
mikeyairtime posted 05-25-2005 03:49 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
The outer waters are looking pretty gnarly on Saturday. Winds 15-25 kts with gusts to 35.
c_mccann posted 05-25-2005 06:11 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
I'll be leaving from Cabrillo if you want to follow me. Trust me- I hate being uncomfortable, though the boat can handle it, we can head out together and stay on the radio with Shiela. If the weather gets bad, Plan B will kick in, if the weather gets bad, Shiela's angle to Clemente will really get her, she will have to do something else. You never know 'til you get out there.... I've always been on ch. 68 or 72.
mikeyairtime posted 05-25-2005 07:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
Yeah were on 72. Our 170's name is the Julia J. If the weather cooperates I'm in.
Sheila posted 05-25-2005 11:00 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
The forecast for south of San Mateo Point isn't looking too bad. You guys sure you don't want to trailer down to Oceanside and launch from here? Free ramp and parking....
Our boat is Tohora Iti but if that's too hard, just hail my by "Sheila." Channel 72, then?

Casey, any good coordinates for the meetup yet?

jmarlo posted 05-26-2005 12:29 PM ET (US)     Profile for jmarlo  Send Email to jmarlo     
Can't make it this weekend--I am towing the Revenge up to New Melones lake outside Sonora. Regardless, I would not be able to make the 140 mile threshold, unless I fill up in Avalon. Hope you guys have a great time, and plan another meeting, a little closer in, soon.
Sheila posted 05-26-2005 12:36 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Sorry you can't join us. Another time, then.
c_mccann posted 05-26-2005 07:30 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
I'm thinking the nine spot, 33.48.50 118.37.32. Make sure your GPS is st for minutes/tenths, not minutes/seconds. This spot is off the island a bit, towards teh East end. Plan B (if the weather turns) will be to meet on the east end of Catalina, and fish where the weather permits and the fish are biting...
mikeyairtime posted 05-26-2005 08:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
Boy it's too bad were not going tomorrow. The outer waters are going to lay down for friday and then it looks like the wind is going to fill in Saturday and into Sunday. The outer waters (San Nicolas to San Clemente and out 60 NM) are still calling for 15-25 kts of wind. The inner waters (Catalina)look good all weekend.
Sheila posted 05-26-2005 09:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
I'm getting really confused about the forecast. Is it that much worse north of San Mateo Point? Here's what I'm finding at the NOAA marine forecast site...


COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND
OUT 30 NM-
330 PM PDT THU MAY 26 2005

.
.SAT NIGHT...WIND W 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE
LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT.
.SUN...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...WIND SW 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE
LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 5 FT.

PZZ775-270430-
WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER EXTENDING
30 TO 60 NM OUT INCLUDING SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND-
330 PM PDT THU MAY 26 2005


.SAT NIGHT...WIND W 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE
LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT.
.SUN...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING NW 15 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT.
.SUN NIGHT...WIND W 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE
LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 5 FT.

mikeyairtime posted 05-26-2005 10:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
If you draw a straight line down the Central Coast of California you will see that the coast takes a big bend inward at Pt. Conception. If you keep drawing that line straight down that is roughly what is considered the outer waters because they lack the protection provided for most SoCal waters by Pt. Conception. You've probably heard how rowdy Pt. Conception can get. San Miguel and San Nicolas islands are clearly in the outer waters. San Clemente is right on the edge and is provided some protection in certain conditions by Catalina island. The outer waters are a different world than our coastal waters and demand far more respect. Now keep in mind also I'm talking about doing this run in a 170 Montauk with my wife and kids so I'm going to err on the side of discretion. I'm still preparing to go because the forecast seems to be comming our way. Yesterday they were saying the outer waters would gust to 35 kts Sun. night, now at my latest check they're saying 15-20 kts. Sun. night. Do a search on Yahoo for Southern California coastal Marine forecast by zone. Then look up CDIP's site for swell and wave models.
Sheila posted 05-27-2005 12:30 AM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Thanks for explaining. I still have much to learn.
Chuck Tribolet posted 05-27-2005 01:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
.SUN...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT.

It NEVER gets that flat in Monterey. And if you tend a
little south coming out of Oceanside, you'll get protection
from San Clemente. I don't know your local conditions down
there, but up here those numbers would say GO.

Mmmm, maybe a Farallones run on Monday.


Chuck

WT posted 05-27-2005 02:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for WT  Send Email to WT     
I agree with Chuck. Water is never that flat at Blowdega Bay. That's almost like riding around on a lake. :)

Warren

mikeyairtime posted 05-27-2005 08:12 AM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
Here's the forecast info I'm basing my trip on. I used to run barges to San Clemente for the Navy and tend to beleive this forecast is a truer picture especially for the channel between Catalina and San Clemente. The San Mateo to Mexican Border to San Clemente island report gives a good idea of the fishing conditions on the leeward side of the island and around Pyramid head.

PZZ676-271600- SANTA CRUZ ISLAND TO SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND TO 60 NM OFFSHORE INCLUDING SAN NICOLAS ISLAND 0300 AM PDT FRI MAY 27 2005
SUNDAY NM WINDS 10 TO 15 KTS WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 4-6 FT. AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING.

Two days ago it was calling for gusts to 35 kts but now it's starting to look really good. Every few hours the forecast is getting revised for the better and I'm starting to get excited. We need to contact Plead Control and make sure there are no Navy closures in effect. I went on the web and their site wouldn't come up. Nothing worst than making the run all the way over there and then getting chased off.

c_mccann posted 05-27-2005 12:18 PM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
I've talked to two guys who fished it tuesday that said NW harbor was closed, east end from roughly Hole in D Wall was fair game, as you always know the Navy can do whatever they want, but big vacationing weekends like this are always open, and the SCI site reports no closures for the east end for this weekend. I'm banking $200 in fuel on it. The weather looks good so far, Mikey, do you want to run with me out in case of fog? As always, scan ch. 16 for Navy reports, nothing is more embarrasing than having your boat hailed off the island, it's like being smacked with a ruler by the headmaster back in school. I have a friend that actually outran the Navy patrol boats back to newport in his gasser 31 Bertram once (40 kt. boat in any sea), now that'd be fun..!
mikeyairtime posted 05-27-2005 03:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
I hope we'll be OK getting out of the harbor. I haven't been down to see how foggy it is in the mornings. What time are you planning on being at Cabrillo.
Sheila posted 05-27-2005 06:23 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Warren and Chuck:
In my USCGAux course, they taught us that the Coast Guard won't run its "small craft" (under 40 feet) if the sum of the forecasted wind speed in knots and the swell height in feet was over 20.

Would you guys ever get out under those criteria?

Casey, Mike--any word on the bite?

SoCalWhaler posted 05-27-2005 07:29 PM ET (US)     Profile for SoCalWhaler  Send Email to SoCalWhaler     
Sounds like a great trip planned. If anyone is interested in doing a San Diego rendevouz or possibly a catalina island trip. Email me.....
WT posted 05-27-2005 07:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for WT  Send Email to WT     
Sheila:

I have been known to go out when there is a small craft advisory. It depends on the actual condition of the ocean. I know this is stupid but I have never turned around to go home once I reach the ramp at Bodega Bay.

Warren

Chuck Tribolet posted 05-27-2005 07:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
Wind speed in knots plus swell height in feet <= 20 feet.
It does happen in Monterey, but not very often.

Small craft advisories are ADVISORIES. The impact of the
conditions is a function of the small craft, the captain,
and where you go. I've been out in lots of SCAs.

My rule is:

Stay home in a gale warning.

Stay home in a NW swell bigger than 8 feet.
Stay home in W swell bigger than 10 feet.

Other than, that, go diving.

Note that there are some decent dive sites VERY close to
the harbor.


Chuck

Sheila posted 05-27-2005 07:56 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
SoCal, why not join us on Sunday? We're running out of Oceanside.
c_mccann posted 05-28-2005 11:59 AM ET (US)     Profile for c_mccann  Send Email to c_mccann     
I am planning to leave at 4:30-5 AM- that being said, it is dependent on a lot coming together. You can call my cell phone or hail me on 72, I am going to launch Saturday and spend the night at the spare dock at LAYC, so I don't have too much to do in the morning. The fog hasn't been bad at all lately, I am not worried. Call me(562)673-1253. Casey
mikeyairtime posted 05-29-2005 12:15 AM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
Well it's 9:00pm here on Saturday night and the outer waters are blowing 15-25 with a small craft advisory and it looks like it's only going to back off to 15kts in the morning so I'm heading to the east end of Catalina. I suspect I'd be subjecting the wife and kids to a 50 mile open ocean pounding to get home from Clemente. I'll be on 72.
mikeyairtime posted 05-30-2005 12:03 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
We heard you guys on 72 when Casey was near Pyramid and sheila was 30 something off as we ran around the corner of the east end. I figured I'd hail you once I shut down at the Palisades but I couldn't get you guys by then. The east end was surprisingly productive for a holiday weekend with a couple halibut and a white seabass along with the odd calico bass.
Sheila posted 05-30-2005 02:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Mikey, I'm sorry we missed you! Especially since apparently you're the only one who found the fish!

We had a terrific outing and Casey really showed us around some spots we'd been eager to explore. Too bad we couldn't get together.

We had an adventure coming home, though:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009991.html

mikeyairtime posted 05-30-2005 03:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for mikeyairtime    
Sheila, I didn't know you were an invalid too. Six weeks ago I ate it hard while skiing at Mammoth and am recovering from 5 broken ribs and a punctured lung. I'm pretty sore this morning.
When I got my first ocean boat, a 22' walk around cuddy, I did the same thing but was lucky enough to make it in on my spare tank. It happens. I think I'll heed your experience and join Vessel Assist.
Sheila posted 05-30-2005 04:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sheila  Send Email to Sheila     
Thanks, Mikey. Broken ribs hurt! Been there, done that, but didn't puncture a lung. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Yes, join Vessel Assist. Especially since you boat with your wife and children, that peace of mind is well worth the cost.

In hindsight, I'm thinking that our most prudent course would have been to turn around and make for Avalon. But we really didn't want to be stuck out there overnight---and we eventually did get home. We'd heard talk on the radio about what a zoo the harbor was over the holiday weekend and wanted to avoid it if we could.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:


Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.