Forum: WHALER
  ContinuousWave
  Whaler
  Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Post-Classic Whalers
  '97 17' OR Repower Question

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   '97 17' OR Repower Question
CHenry posted 05-01-2002 08:05 PM ET (US)   Profile for CHenry   Send Email to CHenry  
I've looked through a couple of the forums and read a few threads on repowering but none seem to quite apply to my situation, having said that...

I currently have a '97 Merc 135 Carb (saltwater series) on my Whaler. Great motor, great performance, never a problem, but I'm in CA and things are starting to get restrictive when it comes to lakes and two-strokes. Not wanting to be "stuck" in a year or two, I figure time to sell the 135 while it's still perfect and under warranty, and get something that will meet emissions standards for some time to come.

I use my boat for short offshore runs and water sports. I'd like to stick with a Merc so I don't have to switch any of my controls or gauges, should be an "easy off, easy on"

The Options (aka the problem)
The 4-stroke 115 or the 150 Optimax.

The 4-stroke is very appealing (and 3500 less than the 150 Opti) but I'm concerned about giving up the 20 hp. I'm very rarely at full throttle so maybe this doesn't matter? I don't really have a feel for what those 20 ponies mean to me on the back of my boat; would I miss them?

The 150 Optimax...great motor...a lot of money...should I really be spending $11k right now on a 2-stroke...even if it does burn cleaner than the 4-stroke? Another 15 hp would be great...but is this the right choice??

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions. I'll post this over in one of the other forums too...to make sure I get good coverage.

Thanks,

Chris


andygere posted 05-01-2002 11:26 PM ET (US)     Profile for andygere  Send Email to andygere     
What about the 135 Optimax? I would imagine performance would be almost the same as your current motor.
ivansfo posted 05-01-2002 11:54 PM ET (US)     Profile for ivansfo  Send Email to ivansfo     
If I were in your shoes, keep your Merc until it dies. It's costly to swap out motors and you probably won't get that much for used 2 stroke carbed motor. Then later when it's time to repower, there should be many more 4 stroke options in the 130-175hp range.

If you must repower now, go with the Honda 130 4 stroke.

PMUCCIOLO posted 05-02-2002 04:07 AM ET (US)     Profile for PMUCCIOLO    
CHenry,

I concur with ivanfo. If I were in your position, I'd run the current engine until it dies. I understand that California is becoming tighter in its restrictions faster than other states, but it's still a lot of money to spend for an emissions requirement the status of which is unknown.

Perhaps triblet can comment on this, as he resides in California. He has commented on this topic in another post, but I can't recall where.

Paul

CHenry posted 05-02-2002 10:09 AM ET (US)     Profile for CHenry  Send Email to CHenry     
All good points.

As to the 135 Opti...if I have a choice, I'm going with the highest hp rating. So it would be the 150.

What I'll probably do is advertise my motor locally and see what price it will bring. Based on the info...I may decide to sell.

If I can get $3k for my motor...I'm only $5k away from the Merc 115 4-stroke...and that's an acceptable delta for me.

Still looking for some opinions on the two motors I'm considering anyone know who I might to too, or where I might look?

Thanks

Chris

lhg posted 05-02-2002 01:42 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Clark Roberts, on this site, is your man. I believe he just switched from a 135 Opti to a 115 Merc 115 4-stroke EFI.
David Ratusnik posted 05-02-2002 02:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for David Ratusnik  Send Email to David Ratusnik     
I agree with the run the engine you have until it dies. Why take a double hit on depreciation? If $$'s are no object, then buy the Honda. .03 David
gf posted 05-02-2002 02:57 PM ET (US)     Profile for gf  Send Email to gf     

I can't imagine repowering a 5 year old 17' Outrage. It would probably be more cost effective to sell your current boat and purchase a lightly used boat already rigged with an Optimax 135 or four stroke if that is really your intent. Or purchase an older Outrage 18 and re-power it.

I also think that only the Optimax 135 is CARB certified or whatever it is called, not the 150.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:


Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.