Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Post-Classic Whalers
  Stripped screws on rear hatch

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Stripped screws on rear hatch
fjjpal posted 04-13-2003 11:02 PM ET (US)   Profile for fjjpal   Send Email to fjjpal  
1997 17' OR. The two screws that hold the shock absorber type of hinge(appreciate the right name for it?) that holds the rear hatch open, pulled out of the holes. Is there a product I should use to fill the holes and redrill? My first instinct is to just drive bigger screws into the same holes? What is the correct way to repair this? The shock absorber also needs to be replaced any recomendations? Thanks much.
seasicknes posted 04-13-2003 11:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for seasicknes    
you can get them at West Marine.
Its called Springlift gas lift supports.
they come in two flavors (stainless steel and non stainless). Stainless for about $45.00 and non stainless for about $23.00

They have a bunch of sizes. You have to measure yours when its compressed and also expanded. They come in rating (pounds).

West Marine catalog 2003 (master).
Page 492


ShrimpBurrito posted 04-14-2003 01:12 AM ET (US)     Profile for ShrimpBurrito  Send Email to ShrimpBurrito     
fjjpal - Here's one method for fixing stripped screw holes in wood:
It make work in other materials as well.

Another is to epoxy in a wood plug (NOT a dowel), and then drive the screw into the plug.

Do a search on this site, and you'll probably find more methods.

wayne baker posted 04-14-2003 10:18 PM ET (US)     Profile for wayne baker  Send Email to wayne baker     
If the next size screw does not cause a problem with the size of the head, I would dab a little 5200 or good adheasive silcone on the threads and put it in. I am sure there are more professional fixes but you have a hole, you just need the proper size screw for it.
lhg posted 04-15-2003 05:04 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Since your Whaler is white, pack the holes with white Marine Tex, re-sand and polish, and re-drill. This will be a permanent repair.
aubv posted 04-16-2003 07:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for aubv  Send Email to aubv     

The holes in the bracket of the gas shock you might prohibit you from going up in size on the screw.
I would agree that Marine Tex is a good choice especially if the holes have enlarge. One trick with Marine Tex is to center a tooth pick in the hole after you have packed it with Marine Tex. (Can be held in place with masking tape). Much easier to drill a pilot hole. Considering the holes are hidden by the bracket cosmetics shouldn't be an issue. Marine Tex hardens, so be sure to put it in the holes and let dry before ever putting the bracket back in place. I would still use a small dab of 5200/4200 even with Marine Tex.

If the holes aren't enlarged than 5200 would be my choice. A small amount on the back side of the bracket as well as in the holes should work well. Considering 5200 stays pliable you could always use a scrapper to pry the bracket off.
I need to replace my gas shock due to rust-send me an e-mail.

Swellmonster posted 04-23-2003 04:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for Swellmonster  Send Email to Swellmonster     
My gas struts got rusted and replaced twice when new under warranty. After warranty, i did not replace them. Now they make stainless, but the dealer said they rust too.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.