Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Post-Classic Whalers
  1998 Outrage 17 II: What's this drain for?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   1998 Outrage 17 II: What's this drain for?
PMUCCIOLO posted 04-20-2003 10:09 PM ET (US)   Profile for PMUCCIOLO  
What function does the small drain serve in the in-deck well in the stern of a 1998 Outrage 17 II? It is located on the vertical portion of the starboard wall of the storage cavity beneath the stern deck?
Want_a_Whaler posted 04-21-2003 09:44 AM ET (US)     Profile for Want_a_Whaler  Send Email to Want_a_Whaler     
I hope you get an answer to this one. I recently bought a used OR II and was wondering the same. It is my belief that it is a drain from the fuel tank cavity in front of the well but I am still not sure.
whalersman posted 04-21-2003 12:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalersman  Send Email to whalersman     
I have answered this before in another thread but can't seem to find that thread...

It is not a drain.... It is a vent..

If you have ever wondered what the clam shell is for, next to the starboard quarter seat backrest, this is the other end of that vent....

Want_a_Whaler posted 04-21-2003 02:39 PM ET (US)     Profile for Want_a_Whaler  Send Email to Want_a_Whaler     
Could you be more specific as to where this clam shell is located? I'm at work and want to find it when I get home.
Aren't vents normally to allow gases to escape? What is the purpose of this one since the lid to the well is far from water tight? Thanks
prm1177 posted 04-21-2003 07:11 PM ET (US)     Profile for prm1177  Send Email to prm1177     
There is a Stainless Steel clamshell on the outside of the hull by the starboard transom seat (just below the stern light socket). I believe the small drain Pmucciolo is referring to is the one on the starboard side of the locker located in the deck just behind the RPS. (This is the locker where the stern light is stored.)

I too have wondered at its purpose. When I launched my new to me Outrage 17, I found the drain plug was missing. When I plugged the drain and turned on the bilge pump, water came out of this drain hole until the bilge was almost emptied.

prm1177 posted 04-23-2003 06:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for prm1177  Send Email to prm1177     
Got an answer from Chick at Boston Whaler:

From cbennet:
If you are referring to a hole a few inches down from top on the starboard wall, this was a drain for excess water to drain out of the rigging trough.
The rigging trough is a molded fiberglass part of the hull that allows the rigging to go from the console to the stern, under the deck.

PMUCCIOLO posted 04-24-2003 11:18 AM ET (US)     Profile for PMUCCIOLO    
Thanks for the information! Mystery solved.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.