Search found 136 matches

by Maverick
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:22 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Assess Maximum Power Capacity Sticker
Replies: 7
Views: 13293

Re: Assess Maximum Power Capacity Sticker

Phil T wrote:It was a single year for that horsepower rating
I thought this anomaly was an interesting tidbit.
[Thread now closed. I believe the occurrence of this particular boat having a maximum power rating that differs from listed ratings in catalogs has now been exhausted.--Moderator]
by Maverick
Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:42 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Assess Maximum Power Capacity Sticker
Replies: 7
Views: 13293

15 Whaler Capacity Plate, HP

Perhaps the boat came from the factory with the 75HP rating sticker and Whaler changed the 1984 published rating to 70 HP.

Q2: why did Boston Whaler change the maximum power rating?

That [question is just] a curiosity for me and perhaps for other owners of a classic 15-foot hull.
by Maverick
Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:24 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Assess Maximum Power Capacity Sticker
Replies: 7
Views: 13293

Assess Maximum Power Capacity Sticker

[An article in the REFERENCE section on the 15-foot hull ] shows the maximum power as 70-HP. The capacity decal on my recently purchased 1976 15-footer shows the maximum power as 75-HP. The capacity decal appears to be original. (See Figure 1, below.) 1976CapacityPlate.jpg I plan re-powering with a ...
by Maverick
Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:51 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Hull Gel Coat Color 1976 15-footer
Replies: 2
Views: 10845

Re: Hull Gel Coat Color 1976 15-footer

Ans[wering my own question]: DESERT TAN.

Cf.: https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/15/
by Maverick
Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:48 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Hull Gel Coat Color 1976 15-footer
Replies: 2
Views: 10845

Hull Gel Coat Color 1976 15-footer

Q1: is the gel coat color of a 1976 15-footer "white" or Desert Tan?
by Maverick
Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:12 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: Products for Top-coating Old Gel Coat that are not AWLGRIP or not TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint
Replies: 4
Views: 13618

Re: Products for Top-coating Old Gel Coat that are not AWLGRIP or not TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint

Thank you both for the helpful responses. I have nearly concluded the first inside sanding, and next up is Total Boat brand "Fairing", which is a two-part filler for repair of dings, divots, cracks, etc. I'm very good at auto paint and bodywork and painting, so once preparation is done, I'...
by Maverick
Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:59 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform
Replies: 5
Views: 12289

Re: Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform

Ahh, good pics of The Gambler. That’s a very helpful picture and design. I believe I’ll build the one for my 15 in the same way. I also like that it looks to be removable. Simple and easy to fabricate. Thank you.
by Maverick
Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:55 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform
Replies: 5
Views: 12289

Re: Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform

I was hoping to solicit input from someone with actual experience and commentary.

I appreciate the link on the 15 rebuild.
by Maverick
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:29 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform
Replies: 5
Views: 12289

Photographs of 15-Footer Modified with Poling Platform

Q1: where can photographs be found of a c.1975 15-footer which has been modified to include a poling platform on the stern on top of the outboard engine? BACKSTORY I may install a poling platform on the stern of a 1976 15-footer. I would use the poling platform as either a fishing platform a small l...
by Maverick
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:16 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Side Railings from 15-footer
Replies: 1
Views: 10266

Side Railings from 15-footer

Q1: will the side railing [as seen below] from a 1976 15-footer fit a 13-foot or 17-foot hull?

sideRailings.jpg
Fig. 1. Side railings.
sideRailings.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 10234 times
by Maverick
Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:40 am
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: Applying AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint
Replies: 2
Views: 11325

Re: Applying AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint

Helpful links. I've watched Youtube presentations and found these to be informative. Thanks.
by Maverick
Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:28 am
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: Products for Top-coating Old Gel Coat that are not AWLGRIP or not TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint
Replies: 4
Views: 13618

Products for Top-coating Old Gel Coat that are not AWLGRIP or not TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint

Other than using AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside paint, give me your first hand experience with any other product you have used to top-coat the gel coat layer on an older Boston Whaler boat.
by Maverick
Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:09 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: Applying AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint
Replies: 2
Views: 11325

Applying AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint

I would like comments and recommendations about applying either AWLGRIP or TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint from someone who has done it. ASIDE: I want to "freshen-up" the gel coat on the interior {[of an unnamed boat] which has stress cracks and has faded. I have experience using gel coat...
by Maverick
Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:23 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Sue Lodel Solves Another Mystery of an Old Boston Whaler
Replies: 1
Views: 10075

Re: Sue Lodel Solves Another Mystery of an Old Boston Whaler

Good work, mr. moderator. Thanx for the message refit.
by Maverick
Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:01 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Sue Lodel Solves Another Mystery of an Old Boston Whaler
Replies: 1
Views: 10075

Sue Lodel Solves Another Mystery of an Old Boston Whaler

On a 1976 15-footer that I am refitting, and there is an old tattered sticker or decal on the inboard of the transom that was barely legible. originalTransomDecal.jpg I contacted Sue Lodel at The Boat House in Two Rivers, and she may have solved the mystery about what the decal or sticker originally...
by Maverick
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:20 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Buying Used or New E-TEC Engines
Replies: 10
Views: 5619

Re: Buying Used or New E-TEC Engines

In 2015 I re-powered my Guardian 18 with dive door with a 2015 Evinrude 150 H.O. (High Output), which the dealer said was tuned to produce around 175-HP. I added hydraulic steering. The boat was a fantastic performance machine, and I have no regrets [about buying the E-TEC engine]. I ran the boat so...
by Maverick
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:15 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: GUARDIAN Hulls and Maximum Engine Power Rating
Replies: 4
Views: 3500

GUARDIAN Hulls and Maximum Engine Power Rating

Q1: do GUARDIAN hulls sold by Boston Whaler lack a power rating placard that indicates the maximum engine power? The last two GUARDIAN boats I owned did not have a maximum horsepower placard. My understanding is that commercial series hulls do not have a maximum rating assigned to them by Boston Wha...
by Maverick
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:56 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Whaler 25 Dimensions
Replies: 11
Views: 18947

Re: Whaler 25 Dimensions

Excellent point. Thank you - great information for consideration.

I'm still waiting on the 25 Walkaround seller.

I am hoping all checks out. I'll report back pertinent updates.

I appreciate the helpful feedback.

[Moderator's note: no update posted as of October 2024.]
by Maverick
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:32 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Whaler 25 Dimensions
Replies: 11
Views: 18947

Re: Whaler 25 Dimensions

Hi Butch, I would be pulling in several states: Texas to Ohio (Lake Erie) to Florida Keys. I am not sure I want to pursue permits in several states everytime I travel. Your suggestion is helpful and I looked online, but just in Texas alone I was confused by what was acceptable and not. The key word ...
by Maverick
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:51 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Whaler 25 Dimensions
Replies: 11
Views: 18947

Re: Whaler 25 Dimensions

I understand, thanks and I appreciate the feedback. This could be my twelfth Boston Whaler, and--next to the 20 Guardian--the biggest I've had the pleasure of piloting. The Outrage 25 with Whaler Drive would be manageable with a dry weight of 3,750-lbs. With engines, fuel, and trailer, I'm thinking ...
by Maverick
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:00 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Whaler 25 Dimensions
Replies: 11
Views: 18947

Re: Whaler 25 Dimensions

Thank you Phil, I really appreciate the timely feedback. I'm waiting on the seller to measure the width and advise me so I can make a more informed decision. I had been looking at a 27, but decided the 25 might be better as I wanted to avoid having to get a towing permit for a 27 (10' beam). Someone...
by Maverick
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:10 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Whaler 25 Dimensions
Replies: 11
Views: 18947

Whaler 25 Dimensions

Did Boston Whaler build a hull with 25-feet length and 9-feet 6-inch beam? If so, what was its [model name]? I thought all 25-foot hulls had an 8-foot beam. I noticed in the reference table at link below that a 9-foot 6-inch beam hull was apparently available: https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer...
by Maverick
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:30 pm
Forum: MARKETPLACE
Topic: FS: STING RAY Foil $28
Replies: 0
Views: 6947

FS: STING RAY Foil $28

For sale: a used STING RAY foil for attaching to the anti-ventilation plate of an outboard engine. It was used on a Johnson 70-HP engine on a 17-footer for $28, and free shipping to anywhere in the continental USA. The foil is in solid condition, but has some scratches, heavy gouges, weathering, and...
by Maverick
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:42 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1999 GUARDIAN 25: Six Questions
Replies: 5
Views: 7634

Re: 1999 GUARDIAN 25: Six Questions

Cosmetic problems like gelcoat spider cracks would not concern me as much as potential structural [damage] in the transom given that’s where a lot of weight and torque resides. Post photos. If water got into the hull and the hull were in a climate where freezing occurs, then expanding ice can do int...
by Maverick
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Forum: MARKETPLACE
Topic: SOLD 1963 16-footer with 2020 Suzuki 90 in Florida for $12,500
Replies: 2
Views: 5821

SOLD 1963 16-footer with 2020 Suzuki 90 in Florida for $12,500

FOR SALE BY OWNER: a 1963 16-foot hull with a 2020 Suzuki DF90 and trailer for $12,500 in Florida. CONTACT: cwweigle a t Hotmail dot com Mav 1.jpg Mav 3.jpg Mav 4.jpg The engine has five-year warranty. I bought the engine and have all receipts. There are clear titles in my name for boat and engine. ...
by Maverick
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am
Forum: MARKETPLACE
Topic: SOLD, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX
Replies: 2
Views: 4614

SOLD, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX

SOLD to a new Whaler friend in Florida!

thx, Chuck
by Maverick
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 am
Forum: MARKETPLACE
Topic: SOLD, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX
Replies: 2
Views: 4614

SIZE, SHIPPING: FS, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX

APPROX Dimensions: SS Mounting Holes top to bottom, center to center: 12 inches SS mounting holes side to side, center to center: 14-1/4 inches Wood platform width: 18 inches Wood platform depth (front to back): 15 inches Once in box figure, about 13 pounds. Shipping package (with U-arms unbolted to...
by Maverick
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:56 pm
Forum: MARKETPLACE
Topic: SOLD, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX
Replies: 2
Views: 4614

SOLD, $50 Swim Platform, Corpus Christi TX

Hi all, I am selling a decent looking used swim platform with flip down ladder rung. The wood looks like teak, and the tubing is stainless steel. It’s in good condition and while it may be a bit large for a 17 Whaler, it should be a good fit for an 18 or above. The item is presently located in Corpu...
by Maverick
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:16 am
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: 13-footer Rough Hull
Replies: 18
Views: 12703

Re: 13-footer Rough Hull

The 13 is a great hull. I've owned a half dozen of them over the years. First things to consider doing: 1. Ensure all titling and paperwork for registration is proper. Restoring a boat and later finding out there's a paperwork glitch can be stressful. 2. Weigh it. Determine if waterlogged or extent ...
by Maverick
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:01 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Buying a new 2017 170 MONTAUK in 2017; Operating In Big Water: Retained Value
Replies: 15
Views: 10754

Re: lack of confidence in dealer

Scott: Q5: What kind of service would the boat need that causes you concern? Q6: Or did you mean service for the engine? Q7: If you were concerned about the engine, could you purchase Whaler hull, then take it to a dealer that you like for a new engine installation? You asked about sea trial and tra...
by Maverick
Sat May 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: BRP Ending Production of Evinrude E-TEC
Replies: 58
Views: 53649

Re: BRP Ending Production of Evinrude E-TEC

About a month ago I purchased a new Suzuki 90 for my 17’ Whaler - I have many reasons, but it was a dollar bottom line - about $2500 cheaper for comparably sized Suzuki versus ETEC motor. I hate to see a great American icon like Evinrude get sidelined - it is a sad commentary especially for the work...
by Maverick
Thu May 14, 2020 5:52 pm
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 11
Views: 8421

Re: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

I'll probably pull out the boat from the water soon, and I will look for a propeller number and also at the engine mounting height. To see that stuff at the dock is hard.
by Maverick
Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 11
Views: 8421

Re: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

I’ll have to look at the mounting hole selection, don’t recall right off. I believe current prop is a Powertech 19-pitch. [The SUZIKI DF90 engine has] plenty of torque. I could probably [increase propeller pitch by 1 or 2-inches] I probably won’t change to a different propeller as this setup adequat...
by Maverick
Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: REVENGE 22: Cost to Replace Fuel Tank
Replies: 1
Views: 2215

Re: REVENGE 22: Cost to Replace Fuel Tank

In 2014 I paid about $900 to buy a 63-gallon Florida Marine Tank fuel tank for my Guardian 18. To buy new USCG-approved fuel hoses and new bonding wiring cost about $50. I did the work myself, which had many steps and took probably 20 hours work time. The shop rate for marine service that I'm famili...
by Maverick
Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 pm
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 11
Views: 8421

1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

[A 1963 custom 16-footer with a SUZUKI 90-HP engine has acceleration from a standing start] like a rocket. Hold on or you’ll be thrown out the stern. Boat speed over ground is 44-MPG at an engine speed of 6,100-RPM with head seas of light to moderate chop and wind 15 to 20-knots. [Maximum boat speed...
by Maverick
Tue May 12, 2020 2:33 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 18
Views: 17086

Re: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

Hah, On the round decals, I’m very familiar (in a good way) with four of the ones shown...you guess which. Seriously, I like the stealthy, outside the box look. Boat was so rough looking when I started that I decided to take some paint liberties. I can appreciate original too. Probably the last Whal...
by Maverick
Tue May 12, 2020 2:16 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 18
Views: 17086

Re: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

Thanks Biggie. Yes rides really high - hull is light and dry. Anxious to see hole shot and top end, my first 4-stroke. Propped with 19” SS Powertech. Slowest at idle is 2.1 mph. Just barely increasing idle is 6 mph. Have two more hours break in then can open it up. I’m thinking it’s going to roll pr...
by Maverick
Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Sometimes you are dealt a raw deal, but then something really makes big impact on you
Replies: 14
Views: 11712

Re: Sometimes you are dealt a raw deal, but then something really makes big impact on you

Dave - kind wishes to you for a speedy recovery. Wishing you all best, Mav
by Maverick
Mon May 11, 2020 12:54 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 18
Views: 17086

Re: New Motor on 16’7” Whaler!

The boat was flipped upside down and bottom and entire exterior sanded down to original gel coat and some minor repairs from previous owners. Looked good. Very light as my son and I rolled it. The hull was re-gel-coated in gray. Added a stick-on keel guard by Megaware--a great and tight fit. The hul...
by Maverick
Mon May 11, 2020 12:43 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 18
Views: 17086

Re: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

B7A6523A-1E8D-4F86-A8F4-093DA84CDDF7.jpeg
Fig. 2. The 1963 customized 16-footer at Padre Island, Texas.
B7A6523A-1E8D-4F86-A8F4-093DA84CDDF7.jpeg (107.84 KiB) Viewed 17081 times


0F9244F0-6E0B-41D0-B959-9742E9D8AD54.jpeg
Fig. 3. The hull was redone with gray gel coat.
0F9244F0-6E0B-41D0-B959-9742E9D8AD54.jpeg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 17081 times
by Maverick
Mon May 11, 2020 12:39 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90
Replies: 18
Views: 17086

1963 Custom 16-footer with SUZUKI 90

On May 8, 2020 I took delivery of my just-repowered custom c.1963 16-footer with its new SUZUKI 90-HP engine. Huff Marine of Corpus Christi, Texas, installed the engine and new hydraulic steering; they did a phenomenal job. I was considering doing the installation myself or paying $1,500 in labor an...
by Maverick
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:48 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine
Replies: 23
Views: 17567

Re: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine

After a long process of getting costs and assessing dealers, I got lucky and found a local (and hungry) small town dealer that made me a good and fair offer. I bought new Suzuki 90 from them with a six-year warranty, and I opted to have them install the engine, hydraulic steering, and turnkey. I sho...
by Maverick
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:26 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Experience with HONDA BF2.3 Outboard engine
Replies: 11
Views: 12752

Re: Experience with HONDA BF2.3 Outboard engine

Thanks for the feedback.

There are some knockoffs for $400 to $500, about half the price of the Honda, but I don’t mind paying more to get reliability--if that’s possible for any of these little aircooled engines.
by Maverick
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Experience with HONDA BF2.3 Outboard engine
Replies: 11
Views: 12752

Experience with HONDA BF2.3 Outboard engine

Please tell me about your first-hand experience in owning a HONDA BF2.3 air-cooled lightweightoutboard engine. I have never owned a HONDA outboard engine. BACKSTORY: I am ready to re-power a 17-foot Boston Whaler boat with a new main propulsion engine. I also want a small auxiliary engine that is li...
by Maverick
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine
Replies: 23
Views: 17567

Re: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine

Great advice, many thanks. Hoping to make a deal this week, as I found a local dealer I like. I'll keep readers posted. I'm also planning on buying a new Honda BF2.3 auxiliary engine. The Honda is air cooled and good for shallow water. Will start a separate topic on this as I'd like everyone's feedb...
by Maverick
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:37 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine
Replies: 23
Views: 17567

Re: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine

Thanks for the informative replies. I’m probably going to take [my prospective purchase to] a couple dealers and try to work a sharp pencil deal. I’m not against paying a reasonable price for services rendered, but, if presented book retail prices, I’ll probably defer to my own time and expertise fo...
by Maverick
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:54 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine
Replies: 23
Views: 17567

Re: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine

Hi BiggieFl and thank you for the detailed and helpful response. I’ve heard Suzuki wants to sell motors, and while I like the E-TEC , you and some of my neighbors on my canal have provided good reasons to think outside the box with Suzuki. I did get a Suzuki turn-key cost estimate that was much less...
by Maverick
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:48 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine
Replies: 23
Views: 17567

Re: Engine Warranty Coverage If Self-installing New Engine

P.S. No de-rigging needed. Dealer would have to saw the binnacle shifter hole, and hole a saw for tachometer. This hull was very dry and light, but well used as a beat up work boat when I purchased it cheap. I took some latitude in the mostly non-OEM refit. I used a console I already had. 16custom_....