Search found 5 matches

by Shin09
Fri May 29, 2026 3:22 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: MONTAUK 17 Trolling Motor Mount: Seven Questions
Replies: 3
Views: 1262

Re: MONTAUK 17 Trolling Motor Mount: Seven Questions

I hadn’t thought about that challenge [in making an epoxy annulus if it is to be located] under [embedded] wood [reinforcements]. I just assumed people were doing it there. To me toggle bolts seem like the best choice for [fasteners for mounting] any [electric trolling motor with a thrust rating of ...
by Shin09
Thu May 28, 2026 3:08 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: MONTAUK 17 Trolling Motor Mount: Seven Questions
Replies: 3
Views: 1262

MONTAUK 17 Trolling Motor Mount: Seven Questions

I want to install a bow-mounted trolling motor on my classic-era MONTAUK 17. I have poured over old threads. Q1: [can a trolling motor be] successfully [mounted to the bow of a MONTAUK 17] using only wood screws into the embedded wood in the bow step? Q2: what size screws [should be used to successf...
by Shin09
Mon May 04, 2026 10:44 am
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection
Replies: 5
Views: 1798

Re: 1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection

Confusingly Mercury makes both an aluminum and stainless steel SPITFIRE propellers. Both are four-blade, but they are not geometrically interchangeable. Plus the stainless has the [PVS] venting system. Even more confusing is the Quicksilver versions are called Nemesis and Q4, respectively. But the Q...
by Shin09
Sun May 03, 2026 7:55 pm
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection
Replies: 5
Views: 1798

Re: 1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection

Based on your test data, the BLACK MAX 17-pitch should put the engine speed at full throttle where you want it. That’s what I am hoping. Q1:would you say that the 17-pitch aluminum propeller is the propeller of choice? ASIDE: Jim--I have read a lot of your feedback on other prop inquiries and it se...
by Shin09
Sun May 03, 2026 6:40 pm
Forum: PERFORMANCE
Topic: 1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection
Replies: 5
Views: 1798

1990 Montauk 17 Propeller selection

Hello. I bought a 1990 Montauk 17 with a 2019 Mercury 90 EFI with the standard gear case (2.07:1). The motor is mounted one hole up. WOT range is 5000-6000. The previous owner was an older gentleman who didnt really care to go fast, though he had repowered with the current outboard. He sold me the b...