Search found 13 matches

by seacatflx
Sun Sep 27, 2026 4:41 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Damage to hull at keel
Replies: 6
Views: 1512

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Damage to hull at keel

keelRepair.jpg
Fig. 2. View of the formerly damaged keel area of a 170 SUPER SPORT hull, after professional repair by a Boston Whaler dealer.
keelRepair.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 477 times


My dealer, Marine Max in Cocoa, Florida, fixed the hull damage for free and did a beautiful job. The repair is invisible. Compare to Figure 1 above.
by seacatflx
Sat Sep 12, 2026 11:07 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer
Replies: 15
Views: 3067

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer

I discussed adding trim tabs to my 160 Dauntless at https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3860&p=25738. It was a great upgrade.-Bob Very nice write-up. This quote from your post is exactly what I am hoping to achieve: "The results are fabulous. Minimum planing speed is r...
by seacatflx
Sat Sep 12, 2026 10:53 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer
Replies: 15
Views: 3067

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer

Q6: as seen in FIgure 1 above, why was the GT-20 SONAR transducer mounted so far from the centerline? GARMIN recommends a minimum spacing of the transducer from the centerline of the propeller of 15-inches. The trim tabs were at that location, so I did not have a lot of options. I will test next we...
by seacatflx
Sat Sep 12, 2026 10:49 am
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer
Replies: 15
Views: 3067

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer

[The installation of trim tabs as seen in Figure 1] looks clean. Q4: where are the wires to the tabs routed? Q5: are the the wires to the tabs all the way through the transom and put in the rigging tube? The wires go through the transom at the top of the actuators. Well sealed with 5200 per Bennett...
by seacatflx
Fri Sep 11, 2026 12:21 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer
Replies: 15
Views: 3067

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer

The installation of Bennett Bolt Trim Tabs has been completed. Bennet Support was very helpful. I also installed the Garmin GT-20 transducer.

Trim Tabs and transducer installed.jpg
Fig. 1. View of transom showing the installation of trim tabs.
Trim Tabs and transducer installed.jpg (139.17 KiB) Viewed 2227 times


I plan to test it this weekend.
by seacatflx
Tue Aug 04, 2026 10:03 pm
Forum: REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Damage to hull at keel
Replies: 6
Views: 1512

2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Damage to hull at keel

Just bought [a 2010 170 SUPER SPORT]. I did not notice [the hull] damage [shown in Figure 1] before I purchased the boat as-is from a Boston Whaler dealer. They delivered 2010 170 SUPER SPORT to me in the water, and I immediately moved it on my lift. Then, a few days ago, I loaded the boat on the tr...
by seacatflx
Tue Aug 04, 2026 9:39 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer
Replies: 15
Views: 3067

2010 170 SUPER SPORT: InstallingTrim Tab, SONAR Transducer

Q1: are owner-installed trim tabs unusual on smaller Boston Whaler boats? Q2: what precautions are needed when attaching trim tabs to the transom or when routing cables from SONAR transducers through the transom of a Unibond hull? BW 170 Super Sport transom with markings 2.jpg Q3: are the positions ...
by seacatflx
Tue Aug 04, 2026 9:27 pm
Forum: VHF MARINE RADIO
Topic: Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer
Replies: 6
Views: 3873

Re: Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer

Thanks. Kind of leaning towards fixed 25 watt VHF with antenna on starboard rail rail just ahead of the side console or the tow bar. Probably a basic Standard Horizon GX1410G or Icom 330. No need for AIS in the inshore areas the boat will primaryily operate, Bana River and Indian River Lagoon in Bre...
by seacatflx
Tue Aug 04, 2026 8:57 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Source for 19-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank
Replies: 2
Views: 1114

Re: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Source for 19-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank

jimh wrote:And just out of curiosity, where did you find that drawing?
I think it was from the owners manual resource on the Boston Whaler website but I have been doing a lot of research on this boat and my planned improvements
by seacatflx
Mon Jul 27, 2026 12:14 pm
Forum: The GAM
Topic: 2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Source for 19-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank
Replies: 2
Views: 1114

2010 170 SUPER SPORT: Source for 19-gallon On-deck Fuel Tank

Q1: where can a 19-gallon on-deck fuel tank be purchased that would fit under the seat on a 2010 170 SUPER SPORT as seen in Figure 1 [with a height of less than 11-inches and the peculiar shape that puts the filler inlet projecting outward]? 19GallonTank_.jpeg tankDwgBostonWhaler.jpeg BACKSTORY I re...
by seacatflx
Mon Jul 27, 2026 11:45 am
Forum: VHF MARINE RADIO
Topic: Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer
Replies: 6
Views: 3873

Re: Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer

The hand-held radio wins on convenience for sure, but I still like the idea of a fixed station. This is my fourth boat over a 37-year period, and I have always had a fixed VHF. I am also a licensed amateur radio operator, and I am picky about radio gear. I prefer Icom or Standard Horizon (Yaesu). My...
by seacatflx
Sun Jul 12, 2026 12:35 pm
Forum: VHF MARINE RADIO
Topic: Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer
Replies: 6
Views: 3873

Handheld or Fixed VHF for Inshore and Coastal Use on 17-footer

I may NOT install a fixed-mount 25-Watt VHF Marine Band DSC radio on my 17-foot side console open boat, and instead just use a VHF Handheld radio. Almost all boating will be on inland waters around Cocoa Beach, Florida. Going out into the Atlantic Ocean will be rare. I am trying to think through the...