PLEASE READ: Old Forum Users

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
jimh

PLEASE READ: Old Forum Users

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:06 am

I have been getting an unusually high number of email messages informing me that users have difficulty accessing the new forum. Almost all of these correspondents are trying to use credentials that worked with the old forum. Please understand that credentials from the old forum DO NOT WORK with the new forum. Please see

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=323

for more advice.

Users who have forgotten their password can recover the password via email at the log-in screen by selecting the option "I forgot my password." The forum software will contact you via email with instructions on recovering the password. Please note that the forum will send the email to the email address that YOU gave to the forum when you registered. If you don't receive email at that email address, you won't be getting any instructions from the forum. Please do not write to me from some other email address and ask me to help with your credentials. I only send credentials to the email address that is registered with the forum.

jimh

Re: PLEASE READ: Old Forum Users

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:38 pm

I have recently received emails from three users that complain they cannot register, or their password does not work.

In order to register you have to pass the CAPTCHA test. The purpose of the CAPTCHA test is to suppress registration by spam bots. See the INTRODUCTION forum and the WELCOME article for more information on the registration question and the proper answer. By suppressing spambots the forum stays free from annoying posts about how to earn $81/hour in reply to every thread.

Users that have forgotten their password can reset the password at the log-in page by selecting the option "I forgot my password." This option will email you a new password. Users that do not actually receive email at the email address they used when registering are going to be in a bind. The password reset is only emailed to the email address that you used when registering.

Users that receive a new password and then complain it does not work are failing to enter the proper password or user-id. The password credential is case-sensitive. The best way to use the reset password that is emailed is to copy-and-paste.

I went several rounds with a user who was certain they registered as a particular user-id and with a particular e-mail address. I found there was no record of either. Again, for the umpteenth time, credentials from years ago and the old forum will not work, have no meaning, and cannot be used with the new forum. See the WELCOME article for more information. In the case of this user, they decided that it was "not worth it" to register again for the new forum. Really? Then don't register.

Every successful registration is followed by an email to the new registrant that confirms the credentials. If you did not receive the confirmation email you never actually completed the registration process successfully.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Please note: user credentials used with the old forum software WILL NOT WORK with the new forum.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:11 am

The CAPTCHA test question has recently been changed. If you are familiar with Boston Whaler boats, there will be no problem in answering the question. If you can't get past the CAPTCHA question, just email me and I will set up an account for you. The answer to the CAPTCHA question is the name of a town on Long Island.