How to set user location

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
Qtrmeg

How to set user location

Postby Qtrmeg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:32 am

I see that some people have their location showing but I don't see how to set that in my forum profile. Is it because I need to have more posts before some features are available?

jimh

Re: How to set user location?

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Visit your profile. [Removed link that did not always work for all users].

Enter your location in the text field for LOCATION.

Qtrmeg

Postby Qtrmeg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Your link didn't work but I have no problem getting to my User Control Panel, I just don't see where I have the location setting. I know where I should see it, I have cleared cookies and logged out, and re-booted. I think I don't have the permission to have that option.

I am just a registered user so you won't see what I see in the Control Panel, because you probably have [more access]. You may not have changed the permissions but have you changed the registration rules since you brought the site online? I probably didn't fill out every single thing while registering, and maybe that is why some people can show location and I can't.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time something was so obviously in my face I couldn't see it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:40 pm

You may have to participate in the forum by posting a few more articles to get out of the "newly registered" user category. That category restricts access so spammers can't register and get all-access. Post another reply in this thread to see if your "newly registered" status is eliminated. I think once you have made at least three posts, you will be able to edit your profile.

The link to EDIT PROFILE is a bit obscure. When you view your profile, it appears as underlined text, indicating a hyperlink, just to the right of your username in the middle of that profile page.

Qtrmeg

Postby Qtrmeg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:34 am

Yay, making 3 posts did the trick. Thank you.

Spinnaker

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am

Although I've been frequenting this site for years, I too am a newly-registered user trying to set my location. Based on Qtrmeg's experience, I am going to make a few ministerial posts in this thread. Please excuse these. Thanks.

Spinnaker

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am

I can report success.