Exclamation Point

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
jimh

Exclamation Point

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:55 pm

The Wall Street Journal carried an interesting article in a recent edition about the use or over-use of exclamation points in office emails:

"The Tyranny of the Exclamation Point..."

I found the article to be interesting and to convey an opinion similar to my own: exclamation points are probably best used sparingly and only with really emotional exclamatory remarks.

I have held this opinion for some time, and I find that there is an extraordinarily high usage of exclamation points in postings to forums. I tend to remove about 95-percent of them. Here are some examples:

Thanks! --> Thank you.

Hi! --> Hello

[Something a reader might do in the future] will be appreciated! --> All replies will be appreciated.

Sometimes an exclamation point is called for. For example:

We were cruising along at 25-MPH when suddenly there was a loud noise: BAM! We had hit bottom.

I cannot imagine that in a relatively short post there could possibly so many exclamatory utterances that several instances of exclamation points would be necessary.

And, it goes without saying, repeating exclamation points two, three, four, or even more times is just completely intolerable.

Tacky79

Re: Exclamation Point

Postby Tacky79 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Great info!

Thanks!!!!

;-)
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

jimh

Re: Exclamation Point

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:10 pm

I am a great fan of humor and appreciate its introduction into a discussion when appropriate.