How to Edit a Post

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
jimh

How to Edit a Post

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Users can edit their posts after initial submission. To access the EDIT function, use the pencil icon that appears in a group of icons at the top of the post:

PhPBB_ButtonIcons_Author.png
Fig. 1. Appearance of post option icons if you are the author of a post.
PhPBB_ButtonIcons_Author.png (5.11 KiB) Viewed 7610 times

If the browser cursor is hovered over an icon, the browser should reveal the function. The functions are, left to right:

EDIT POST -- DELETE POST -- REPORT POST -- QUOTE POST

The number of options available depends on the user viewing the post. Users who have not logged in and do have an account see very few options. Users who are logged in see more options. An author viewing their own post sees more options, including the EDIT option. Authors can only delete their own posts under certain circumstances. Authors can edit their own posts, but there is a time limit of about 24-hours from the initial posting time. [Update, that time limit has been increased since this article was posted. See below for the new time limit.]

The purpose of the functions is mostly implicit in their names. The REPORT POST is a means to alert a moderator that the post is objectionable.

porthole

Re: Can't Edit Post

Postby porthole » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:01 pm

[The following question was moved from a boat discussion to the INTRODUCTION TO THE FORUM SOFTWARE forum, and appended to this existing discussion about How to Edit a Post--Moderator]

I tried to edit my post. Did we lose the ability to edit our posts?
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: How to Edit a Post

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:07 pm

The ability to edit a post expires after the post has been on-line for 7,200 minutes. For the math-challenged, that is five days. The change in time to edit a post was made fairly recently. I do not keep a journal of precisely when settings are changed. I just change them when I decide to change them. Previously the time limit for editing a post was shorter than the current 7,200-minutes time limit.

If a forum participant returns to something he wrote to review it for accuracy, and more than five days have elapsed, then that forum participant won't be able to edit the original post any further. A time limit of five days seems really quite sufficient. Many other forums impose an edit time limit of just an hour. If you haven't figured out that something in your post needs to be changed after five days, you will just have to post a emendation in a follow-up.