Re-use of previously uploaded images

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
jimh

Re-use of previously uploaded images

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:21 pm

If an image has already been uploaded to the forum and is being hosted by the forum software, the image can be placed in other postings simply by linking to the image. For example, I uploaded an image of my boat in a posting I made in a thread several months ago. I can re-use that image in other posts just by using the [IMG] tag and using the URL to the image. I will demonstrate below by including an in-line image hosted by the forum in another posting:

This image is not attached to this posting but was attached to an earlier posting and is being linked to here by using the image file's URL and the IMG tags.

To find the URL of the image, just find the original posting where you uploaded the image. Using your web browser, open the image in a separate window. Usually you can do this by positioning the cursor over the image, and modifying the mouse click by holding down the CTL or CONTROL key. If you have a mouse with two buttons, often a right-button mouse click presents the option to open the image in a new window.

When the images opens in its own new window, copy the URL to the image from the address window of the browser. You will use this URL to link to the image in some other postings. To use the URL to the previously uploaded image as the image source for re-use of the image, you just wrap the URL with the [img]and[/img] tags. This will put the image in-line in another posting, allowing you to re-use the image.

Users have a limit on the total amount of attached files. If a users keeps uploading the same image over and over, they will soon reach their file upload limit and not be able to upload new images. Also, it makes no sense to keep uploading the same image multiple times, especially if the image is just an image of your boat. We are all proud of our boats but there is no need to constantly insert the same picture of your boat into multiple postings.