Can this phpBB resize photos during upload?

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
pcrussell50

Can this phpBB resize photos during upload?

Postby pcrussell50 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Tried to post a great picture of great times Whalering. Got the dreaded "file too large" admonition. Yes, I read the post about how 900 x 900 is big enough. And I don't disagree. But having to resize images on the poster end is... cumbersome... and discourages participation. One of the other phpBB forums I use, resizes the images for you during the upload. I wonder if this is possible in this case too? Reducing the hassle required to participate, might increase participation. Just a thought.

For the record, I just spent a few minutes resizing a photo down to 900 x 675... Which meets the published requirements in Jim's guidelines. And? "file too large". I give up. More Whaler content not shared. :(

-Peter

jimh

Re: Can this phpBB resize photos during upload?

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm

No. The file upload function does not perform any resizing of image files.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:47 pm

jimh wrote:No. The file upload function does not perform any resizing of image files.

Any idea why 900 x 675 doesn't work? Your guideline post says maximum size is 900 x 900.

-Peter

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:24 am

Perhaps the file size exceeds 250-kilobytes.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 pm

The software used to provide this forum, PhpBB, is an open source project. There are literally thousands of extensions that can be added to the basic software package. I prefer to keep the software as basic as possible because with the addition of each extension the possibilities for problems increases.

The forum is entirely supported by me in my spare time; there is not a paid forum provider that maintains the forum. Keeping the forum working is already a burden on my time and energy, as there seems to always be some problems cropping up. Even at this moment there is a significant and fairly basic function in the forum that has stopped working and into which I have been directing my effort to resolve.

The notion that on some other website using the same basic PhpBB software the forum operator has added some particular extension that seems useful is very likely true. But I don't feel compelled to add more extensions to the continuousWave version of PhpBB when I am still working on resolution of more basic functions having stopped working