2020 G2 300's 4.3 CTS Fuel Tank Set up

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
Thunderstruck

2020 G2 300's 4.3 CTS Fuel Tank Set up

Postby Thunderstruck » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

On my boat with twin E-TEC G2 300-HP engines, an Evinrude ICOM 4.3 Color Touch Screen (CTS) display recognizes the two G2 Oil Tanks but not the two NNavico Fuel Sending Unit (NFSU) devices. They were previously part of the SIMNet, and fuel tank data was accessible on the Simrad NSE 112.

Is it possible that a 4.3 CTS firmware (version 04022018 to 05122020) update could remedy this problem?

The Evinrude Diagnostics software V6.5 Network Diagnostics recognizes:
  1. Teleflex Propulsion Instance 0, Address 0x1
  2. BRP Instance 0, Address 0x96 (PORT CR engine)
  3. BRP Instance 1, Address 0x97 (STBD DPS engine)
  4. FW Murphy Instrumentation Instance 0, Address 0xF2 (is this the Simrad NSE!2?)
  5. Lowrance Instrumentation General Sensor Box Instance 0, Address 0x2 (is this the NFSU?)
  6. Lowrance Instrumentation General Sensor Box Instance 1, Address 0x3 (is this the NFSU?)

Clicking on the "System Wide Fluid Levels" icon creates a pop up with
  1. Address 0x97, Instance 1 (is this the G2 300 Oil Tank - STBD DPS engine?)
  2. Address 0x96, Instance 0 (is this the G2 300 Oil Tank - PORT CR engine?)
  3. Address 0x02, Instance 0 (is this the NFSU?)
  4. Address 0x03, Instance 1 (is this the NFSU?)

Not sure why I can't get the fuel tanks set up on the 4.3 CTS.

Please give me an ideas to remedy this.

I almost feel like removing the two NFSU's and connect the KUS SSL17 WEMA sensors directly to the Control Heads on the Remote Control Harness. This might sacrifice fuel data on the Simrad NSE12.

In reality fuel data to me only matters on the 4.3 CTS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
John

jimh

Re: 2020 G2 300's 4.3 CTS Fuel Tank Set up

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:59 pm

I am unable to give much real-world advice because I have no experience with EV-Diagnostics Version 6 and Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines, but I will offer a few guesses:

The first list of six addresses seems to me to be finding devices as follows:

1 = Teleflex Propulsion Instance 0, Address 0x1 = probably the electronic shift and throttle remote controls, presumably ICON II EST, or the power steering boost system

2 = BRP Instance 0, Address 0x96 (PORT CR engine) = the actual EMM of the engine

3 = BRP Instance 1, Address 0x97 (STBD DPS engine) = the actual EMM of the engine

4 = FW Murphy Instrumentation Instance 0, Address 0xF2 (is this the Simrad NSE!2?) = no guess--but I like your guess its the Simrad chartplotter

5 = Lowrance Instrumentation General Sensor Box Instance 0, Address 0x2 = probably one of the fluid tank level convertors devices

6 = Lowrance Instrumentation General Sensor Box Instance 1, Address 0x3 = probably the other fluid tank level convertor device

I am guessing that EV-Diagnostic software only shows you devices for which it knows how to modify device settings.

The easiest way to positively identify each device will be to temporarily disconnect a particular device--and just that device--from the network, and then re-scan with the diagnostic software. The device you have removed should then disappear from the list of devices.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Thunderstruck wrote: I almost feel like removing the two NFSU's and connect the KUS SSL17 WEMA sensors directly to the Control Heads on the Remote Control Harness. This might sacrifice fuel data on the Simrad NSE12.

Wiring the WEMA sensors to the analog inputs on the ICON II EST control head would be one solution.

Regarding whether that will allow the SIMRAD chartplotter to see the tank level: in a perfect world, it should. The ICON II EST control head should be sending the tank level data to the NMEA-2000 network for any device on the network to see.

This solution would eliminate the two separate fuel tank level convertors now on the network, which seem to be causing trouble for the Evinrude ICON 4.3 Color Touch Screen display, and there will then be two fewer Network-T Connectors on the network.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:29 am

You may find some additional information and resources in the E-TEC G2 Rigging & Setup Guide.

See: https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=6577

In particular, see the chapter on "Displays and Gauges" that begins on page 29.

Also, see the chapter "NMEA 2000 Device Connections" and the subsection "Fluid Level Device Chart" on page 61. This section explains the mandatory INSTANCE NUMBER configurations needed. The chart also mentions what software or other devices can configure the instance settings.

This information should be useful to you.