E-TEC G2 Private Network Cables

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
briansmith

E-TEC G2 Private Network Cables

Postby briansmith » Tue May 24, 2022 8:11 pm

Give me a source for Evinrude E-TEC G2 Private Network cables and part numbers.

BACK STORY
I can't find the private network cables needed for the E-TEC G2 anywhere. I suspect that I have a cable problem, and the only way I know to test for that is to try replacing the cables. It's a twin-engine setup, so I need two of the long cables from the engines to the console (25' would be enough - 20' MIGHT be, but I'd rather have 25'), then the short one that goes from the hub to the EST. I guess I also need the hub, since that could be the problem, too - but I've found that one at Crowley.

Phil T

Re: Re: E-TEC G2 Private Network Cables

Postby Phil T » Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Call Dave/Doug at Lockeman's Hardware & Boats. They are the #1 dealer in the country for servicing E-TEC's and are the best.

http://lockemans.com/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: E-TEC G2 Private Network Cables

Postby jimh » Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 am

briansmith wrote:Give me a source for Evinrude E-TEC G2 Private Network cables and part numbers.
You should be able to find the part numbers for any cable related to rigging an E-TEC G2 engine in the Evinrude Pre-delivery and Rigging Guide for E-TEC G2 Engines.

If you do not have a copy of the Evinrude Pre-delivery and Rigging Guide for the E-TEC G2, see my article in the Reference Section at

Evinrude E-TEC Rigging Guides
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... uides.html

The drawing on page 120 should be helpful. I think the cable you want is shown as callout 19 and identified as

19 Backbone Buss [sic] Cables
    15 ft. (4.5 m) 587173
    20 ft. (6.0 m) 587174
    25 ft. (7.6m) 587175

NS Backbone Buss [sic] Cable Extensions
    1 ft. (0.3 m) 587176
    2 ft. (0.6 m) 587177
    4 ft. (1.5 m) 587178
    10 ft. (3.0 m) 587179
    15 ft. (4.5 m) 587180
    20 ft. (6.0 m) 587181
    25 ft. (7.6 m) 587182

In the above, I believe "NS" means "not shown." Note also that the "19 callout" "bachone buss [sic]" cable looks like it has the same gender on each end. I would then anticipate that an "extension" cable will differ; the ends of an extension cable will have different genders so they can extend a same-gender cable.

The hub is shown at callout 22.

Reading the rigging guide should give you a lot of information about the E-TEC G2 ICON II control bus which is also called the "Private Network."

SOURCE FOR CABLES
The wiring devices used in the E-TEC G2 ICON II or "private network" communication system are similar to NMEA-2000 DeviceNET Micro C connectors, but they have an extra circuit in the cable and extra contact in the connectors, thus there are six contacts instead of the usual five contacts in standard NMEA-2000 cables.

You might be able to buy similar cables as DeviceNET Micro C cables if you ordered the proper number of circuits and contacts, but you must be careful that the cable has the proper pairs and shielding. I don't think generic cables will not be the best solution, and I suspect it will also be an expensive solution and perhaps with a long lead time. Buying Evinrude OEM branded cables will be the best solution. I would anticipate that these cables and hubs should still be available from Evinrude; a good dealer should be able to get to the bottom of this.

LOCKEMAN'S HARDWARE & BOAT has sold and rigged E-TEC G2 engines, and I am sure they are knowledgeable on this topic.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm

Thank you both, Phil T and jimh, for the suggestion to call Lockeman's. I will.

jimh, I am always impressed by your very thorough and helpful answers, and sincerely appreciate the time and effort you put into them.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm

jimh: Actually, since I have two engines, I think the pertinent diagram is on page 121 of that document. And while I do need cable 19, and hub 22, I also need two of the cables that go from the engine to the hub - and those have no part number on that document. Can you help with that?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 am

I am not sure if you need to replace the cables on the engine itself that come out at the front of the engine and are available for connecting to the private network. Those cables are probably an engine part number.

The other cable that connects the engine's cable end to the Private Network Hub is shown on the drawing but it not numbered with a callout. Based on how the cable is depicted on the drawing, that cable has opposite gender connectors at opposing ends, and it is an extension cable. In the part listing associated with the drawing, there is an item listed between CALLOUT 19 and CALLOUT 20 with the indicator NS (now shown) and identified as a

Backbone Buss (sic) Cable Extension

Those cable are available in several lengths. I believe that if the drawing had a callout for the cable you are asking about, then the callout would be associated with these cables instead of the cables being designated as NS for not listed.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:37 am

See the 2017 Evinrude E-TEC G2 Rigging & Setup Guide for better information about the bus extension cables:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... uides.html

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:53 pm

UPDATE: replacing the private network hub with a brand new one from Lockeman's solved the original problem immediately. No more network errors and both engines started like they did back in the good ol' days (two weeks ago). Thanks to everyone who contributed.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:05 pm

BRIAN--thanks for the follow-up with the outcome that the problem was been remedied.

But, to be certain about what components were replaced:

Q1: Did you just replace only the Private Networks Hub (or Hubs)?

Q2: Or, did you also replace some Private Network cables, too?