E-TEC G2 Instrumentation

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
jimh

E-TEC G2 Instrumentation

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 pm

In another thread on the topic of performance, a question was asked about E-TEC G2 outboard engine instrumentation.

Ridge Runner wrote:Is there any reason to install a ICON Touch 4.3 Color Touch Screen? At $1,500 it is a bit expensive. With HDS-9 I think I will get about 90-percent of the functionality compared to the ICON Touch.

The Evinrude ICON Pro RPM gauge will give you all the engine alert messages from both the G1 and G2 engines. I believe they are the only gauges that can do handle both G1 and G2 engine alert codes correctly.

The ICON Touch 4.3 display will allow you to control some special features of the E-TEC G2. You can set the power steering boost, the iTrim boat type, and a few other configuration parameters unique to the G2. I am fairly sure the ICON Pro RPM gauge can NOT do that.

I wrote a lengthy article about the ICON Touch displays when they were first announced in 2015. See

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003756.html

See the material in the article about the DIAGNOSTIC SCREEN features. Whether or not those features are worth the cost of the big display is something the buyer has to decide.

You must have some sort of proper Evinrude-branded instrumentation that can show all the engine alert messages in order to comply with the Evinrude rigging instructions. A generic multi-function display (like a Lowrance HDS) will not be able to show any of the proprietary engine alert messages.