Displaying Engine Hours on ICON Gauges

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
jimh

Displaying Engine Hours on ICON Gauges

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:25 am

As I indicate in my 2011 article about modern outboard engine instrumentation with ICON gauges at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ICONgauges.html

the ICON Pro RPM gauge can display engine hours. The default setting of the ICON Pro RPM Gauge does not include a display of engine hours as one of the default data pages. In order to display engine hours on the ICON Pro RPM gauge, the user must modify the settings of the gauge.

Here I will assume the user understands how to operate the ICON Pro RPM gauge, how to navigate its menus, and how to select and enter data. If the user is not familiar with those operations, see the first page of the ICON Pro Series Gauge User's Guide for more information.

To modify the settings of the ICON Pro RPM gauge, use the EDIT MENU option. Invoke the EDIT MENU option by briefly pressing the MODE button. Use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select EDIT MENU. Press and hold MODE to select.

In the EDIT menu option, use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select the DISPLAY option. Press and hold MODE to select.

In the DISPLAY menu, you can chose to add another page of information or you can edit one of the existing pages being displayed. Let us assume you wish to add a new page. In the DISPLAY menu, use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select the #SCREENS option. Press and hold MODE to select.

In the #SCREENS menu, use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to increment the number of screens. (The default is usually set to "8", so if you wish to add a new screen set this to "9".) Press and hold MODE to select.

After adding the screen, exit back to the DISPLAY menu by pushing the MODE button briefly. Use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select the option PAGE SETUP. Press and hold MODE to select.

In the PAGE SETUP menu, use the the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select the number of the page you wish to set up, e.g., "9" (the new page you added). Press and hold MODE to select.

After selecting the page number you wish to edit, use the <up> and <down> arrow keys to select the data field to display on line one of the display; Press and hold MODE to select. If you have a larger ICON Pro gauge, then repeat for line two of the display.

When selecting the data field, your choices will be from those shown in the table DATA FIELDS that appears on page 126 of the ICON Pro Series Gauge User's Manual. The data field for engine hours is abbreviated as PORT HOURS. (I believe that the ICON can can only show the engine hours for one engine, so it uses the Port engine, which should always be the zeroth instance.) Press and hold MODE to select.

Press MODE briefly a few times to exit out of all the sub menus and back to normal operation.

The new page with its new data should now be available on the ICON Pro Series RPM gauge.

You can use this procedure to edit an existing display screen or add a new display screen for any of the many data values available with the ICON Pro RPM gauge. This same procedure works with the ICON Pro Speedometer gauge, too.

I hope this explanation helps. This explanation was developed by reading the ICON Pro Series Gauge User Guide. Evinrude includes a copy of this publication with every ICON gauge. If you received your boat with the Evinrude ICON Pro Series gauges already installed, you should have received this user guide. If you purchased ICON Pro Series gauges and installed them yourself, you should have received this user guide with each gauge you purchased. If your dealer installed the ICON Pro Series gauges, he should have passed along to you the user guide.

(Note: I have added this procedure to the reference article on the ICON gauges mentioned above.)

You can also use this same method to add any other data to the display. There are a great many choices available in the ICON Pro RPM gauge. For example, you could add display of an oil tank level.