Improved TRIM SENDER for E-TEC c.2012

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
jimh

Improved TRIM SENDER for E-TEC c.2012

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:46 am

Evinrude introduced an improved TRIM SENDER part in c.2012 production of the E-TEC. The new part contains an internal thermal fuse that prevents excessive current from flowing in the circuit. The two components have different appearances:

improvedTrimSender2012b.jpg
Improved trim sender c.2013 (right) compared to prior version.
improvedTrimSender2012b.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 10618 times

The change was described as follows:

New Trim Sending Units

New trim sending units and changes to the ground wires are in place for all 2012
    models. New trim sending units have an internal thermal breaker and as a result,
    ground wire location and routing has changed. Previous part numbers will supersede
    to new part numbers.

The thermal breaker will activate (open circuit) if excessive electrical current
    flows through the trim sending unit. After the thermal breaker cools, it will automatically
    reset.

If the thermal breaker is activated, the operator may notice the trim gauge does
    not work, or the starter motor may not work when attempting to start the engine.
    If either of these symptoms occur, check for loose battery grounds at the engine
    ground stud, and at the battery.

Based on the visual appearance of the two trim sender devices, I note that on the older version the conductor for the ground is not carried into the sender device, but simply directly attaches to some portion of the engine mount via a ground lug connector.

In the new trim sender (on right) the three conductors from the engine harness enter the device, then a fourth conductor emerges from the device and is connected to two grounding lugs.

jimh

Re: Improved TRIM SENDER for E-TEC c.2012

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I checked with my local Evinrude dealer about the changes in the trim sender. I summarize his comments:

--the old trim sender was used for years and years;

--if there was a discontinuity in the main engine ground connection to battery negative connection, it would sometime occur that the engine cranking current would try to flow on the ground circuit of the trim sender, with the result that the ground connection would burn off from excess current at the location where it was attached to the engine mount near the sender;

--the new trim sender keeps the local grounding the sender protected by a thermal fuse so it won't burn away if there is an unanticipated rush of current in the ground as might occur with a bad battery connection; and

--as long as the battery connections and engine connections for the primary power to the battery are solid, the old design will remain workable.