ICON 7.0 CTS Doesn't Show Fuel

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
alli ss

ICON 7.0 CTS Doesn't Show Fuel

Postby alli ss » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Hello all. I am the proud new owner of a new Evinrude 200 H.O. G2 with the ICON 7.0 CTS or Color Touch Screen display. I have all the documentation for rigging.

[The principal problem and focus of discussion of this thread:] My dealer hooked a fuel [tank level] sender to the network: It doesn't work.

From what I can tell in the rigging manual, [the fuel tank level sender] is supposed to have signal wires going to what appears to be [an analog input on] the [the ICON II electronic shift and throttle or EST] remote control wiring harness.

Is this correct?

I assume there is label at that connector. Is there a label at the connector?

[The function that is desired to have working but is not working] is for the fuel level in the main fuel tank to display on the home screen of of ICON 7.0 CTS display.

I want to make sure [where the location is] where [the conventional tank level sender] is to be hooked up [and to learn this] before removing the side panel that has the control on it.

jimh

Re: ICON Touch 7.0 Color Touch Screen Display

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

You may find reading an earlier article on the ICON 7.0 CTS display to be useful.

Generally if you are going to connect a standard resistive-type fluid tank level sender to any sort of display instrument, you need to be aware that in most instances you can only connect one display instrument to the sender. This is because each display will try to send current through the resistor in the sender. If you connect two devices to the sender, each will be trying to send current through the resistor. The result will be very unpredictable, and most likely not workable.

Most display devices that have analogue inputs will have a means to configure those inputs to match the type of sender that will be wired to them. For resistive senders for fluid level tanks there are two major standards: USA and Europe. The range of resistance differs in each, and so does the direction of the resistance with respect to full and empty tank. Setting the configuration of the analogue input to match the sender is important.

Now we have to figure out what sort of ICON II EST controls you have. There are five different controls. Please refer to a separate article for information on the five different ICON II EST controls.

Only the ICON II EST Premium controls have four analogue inputs.

See a separate article for more information about INSTANCE settings and tank TYPE.

Now to your question: where should the resistive fluid tank level sender to connected?

Since you have an ICON 7.0 CTS, you can connect the main fuel tank fluid level sender to the analogue input of the ICON 7.0 CTS for FUEL TANK 1. Or, if you have the proper ICON II EST controls, you could connect the sender there. The connections to the ICON II EST controls are shown in the E-TEC G2 Pre-delivery and Rigging Guide. My inference from your comment is you already have that publication.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:50 pm

alli ss wrote:....From what I can tell in the rigging manual, [the fuel tank level sender] is supposed to have (signal) wires going to (what appears to be) [an analogue input on] the [the ICON II electronic shift and throttle or EST] remote control wiring harness.

Is this correct?

If you have an ICON II PREMIUM EST remote control that provides for an analog input for a fuel tank fluid level tank sender, then you can connect the sender to that input. If you have just the ICON II (BASIC) remote control, there won't be an analog input.

alli ss wrote:I assume there is label at that connector. Is there a label at the connector?

I also assume that there is a label on the connector to identify it. There are many connectors in the wiring harness, so it would be reasonable to assume there is a means to identify their function. I can't tell you for certain, as I don't know exactly which control you have.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:54 pm

EV-Diagnostics Version 6 is generally only available to authorized dealers. Its use requires a specialized interface convertor and specialized cables to make the connection between a serial port on the host terminal on which the EV-Diagnostics 6 software is being executed and the E-TEC G2 engine private network bus. The conversion device and adaptor cables are rather expensive; the EV-Diagnostics software is not available from Evinrude to the general public. You may be able to purchase the software and the associated necessary hardware from a dealer. I would estimate the cost at over $1,000.

Because of the cost of EV-Diagnostics and associated hardware, there is little incentive to try to work against the Evinrude pre-configured system convention. Use of the analog inputs on the ICON II EST controls or on the ICON CTS display is much simpler to accomplish.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:52 pm

alli ss wrote:My dealer hooked the fuel sender to the network. It doesn't work.

If the fuel sender is a NMEA-2000 type sender, it could be connected to the NMEA-2000 network. But the INSTANCE and TANK TYPE settings of the NMEA-2000 sender will need to be set to match the Evinrude convention for tank type and INSTANCE. See my separate article on that topic.

INSTANCE Settings for FLUID TANKS in E-TEC G2 Rigging

I cannot imagine that the dealer would have attempted to connect the two wires from a resistive tank level sender to a NMEA-2000 network, so I won't explore that possibility.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 am

That is a lot of information and I appreciate it.

We’ll start with the concealed side mount. I believe i have part number 5010252 but the control box itself has part number 5009752 on a sticker. There is no fuel level gauge wire coming off of that box like the installation and pre delivery guide says on page 115.

In the users' guide of the ICON 7.0 CTS on the harness detail it shows analog inputs AN 1 to 3. When i hook up to these and configure it the only choices are oil, fresh water, waste water, or black water as shown on page 26 of that manual.

On page 12 it shows four fuel levels that are sourced from the control head. I suspect these are the ones I need that display on my main screen where i want to see my fuel. It says “fuel level inputs are located on the remote control wiring harness. Two are preconfigured as fuel, two are preconfigured as oil.”

I suspect I do not have the correct remote control.

But then bulletin no 2016-08(p) says that if i have ICON II EST controls with ICON 7.0 CTS or 4.3 CTS display, I need to install fluid level sensor PN 768916 between the sending unit and the network; then set the INSTANCE to 4 TYPE to FUEL, and set the tank size; all per bulletin 2016-11--(which I do not have)

Most of all I just want to see the FUEL TANK LEVEL.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 am

I just looked again at the network [device] that was connected to the [resistive] fluid tank level sensor; [the network device] does have a little [housing] (as I see on-line for part number 768916). [The network device] has a sticker with boxes highlighted "fuel" and "zero" and "two."

Maybe [this network device needs] to [have its INSTANCE changed using] EV-Diagnostics Version 6.0. [Speculates incorrectly that the INSTANCE of particular devices can be changed by using a particular display.--jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 am

Re the network device connected to the resistive sender for the fuel tank level: from your description the device sounds like it is a NMEA-2000 adaptor that connects to a resistive fluid tank sender, and then converts that resistance into a tank level, and then sends TANK LEVEL data to the NMEA-2000 network.

I can't say for certain if the Evinrude ICON Touch 7.0 CTS display would be able to alter the INSTANCE configuration of that NMEA-2000 tank level sender. I get the impression the ICON Touch 7.0 CTS does NOT have that capability.

In this Evinrude ecosystem of NMEA-2000 instrumentation for fluid tank level data, there seems to be a rather strict requirement for setting the INSTANCE of the senders to match the pre-configured settings in the Evinrude ICON Color Touch Screen (CTS) and Color Screen (CS) displays.

Since you have a NMEA-2000 network device connected to the tank level resistive sender, the more direct resolution to the problem of not seeing that data on the ICON 7.0 CTS display seems to be to investigate the INSTANCE setting.

Usually with NMEA-2000 display devices you can find a diagnostic screen that will show the network status, show connected devices, and give some details about their type and INSTANCE. I don't know if the ICON 7.0 CTS has such a diagnostic page.

I think Evinrude was trying to keep things simple by using their strict INSTANCE setting method, and perhaps there is no provision for the user-level devices to make changes, to either the senders or the display.

If your boat has another NMEA-2000 display device, you might look into that device's menus to see if it has a network diagnostic function. If it does, you should be able to see a list of network devices and their instance settings. This would give you an idea of what the setting are for the tank level sender you have, and if those settings were compatible with the strict regimen that the ICON 7.0 CTS uses.

If you need the configuration of the network tank adaptor altered, maybe your Evinrude dealer could do it with EV-Diagnostic Version 6.0. If you just bought a new E-TEC G2 from that dealer, he should be willing to help resolve this problem.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:54 am

Yes, my dealer is great.

I just want to make sure we have all parts needed to fix the few problems I have when I make the three-hour drive to fix it. Thanks for your help

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:39 am

I have updated the separate article on Evinrude G2 rigging with NMEA-2000 Fluid Tank Level senders. I think the information is more clearly presented there.

You should note that in the Evinrude G2 ecosystem, the only analog inputs that can be used for FUEL tanks are the inputs on the ICON II PREMIUM EST controls. The controls have four analogue inputs (which I will call A-B-C-D to avoid too many numerical designations). These inputs are pre-configured as follows:

INPUT --> INSTANCE ---> TYPE
A = 4 = FUEL
B = 5 = FUEL
C - 6 = OIL
D = 7 = OIL

These inputs cannot have their INSTANCE change. The TANK TYPE can be changed by using EV-Diagnostics Version 6, by using an ICON 7.0 Color Touch Screen display, or by using an ICON 4.3 Color Touch Screen display to be either FUEL or OIL.

In regard to the above, my advice to you about getting the FUEL TANK LEVEL shown on your system is as follows:

--if you have an ICON II EST PREMIUM control that has the four analogue inputs, you should wire the fuel tank level resistive sender to the first input (A) of the four inputs.

--if you do not have an ICON II EST PREMIUM control, you must have an ICON II EST BASIC control. You should use a separate NMEA-2000 fluid tank level convertor, wire it to the resistive float sensor of the fuel tank. Configure that NMEA-2000 device to have INSTANCE = 4 and TYPE = FUEL.

Be certain you don't have the ICON II EST PREMIUM controls with analogue inputs, because, if you did have those controls, they might be sending data as INSTANCE = 4 to the network, which could cause a conflict with a separate device also trying to send as INSTANCE 4.

For more information about variations in ICON II EST controls, see a new separate article that describes them.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 pm

I have the [ICON II BASIC EST] control for G2. It does not have the four analog inputs for sure. I wish it did--that would be simple.

Do the numbers that are highlighted on my [tank level] network adapter matter in the INSTANCE setting? Or is it still INSTANCE=4?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 pm

From what I can find, if you have Evinrude part number 0768916, that should be a fluid tank level convertor with INSTANCE =4 and TYPE = FUEL.

I found an image that shows this part, and it appears to be marked as you described:

Fig. 1. Evinrude part 0768916, a fuel tank level sender preconfigured as INSTANCE=4

I don't have an explanation why both the "0" and the "2" boxes are marked. Maybe that is some convention used by Evinrude to identify instance settings higher than 2. Notice on the package label it remarks "FUEL LEV CVTR I4" which I would presume means TYPE = FUEL and INSTANCE = 4.

jimh

Re: ICON 7.0 CTS Doesn't Show Fuel

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Back to the original problem of no fuel level on the ICON 7.0 CTS:

If you have a NMEA-2000 fuel tank level converter attached to the tank's resistive sender, and it is wired to the network, and the network has power, and the INSTANCE = 4 and the TYPE = FUEL, then you should be able to see that on the ICON 7.0 CTS display as a fuel tank level.

Also, the ICON 7.0 CTS display should be able to change the configuration of the sender at INSTANCE=4 if it is not set properly to FUEL and perhaps has been mistakenly set to OIL. This situation might be the real problem in the whole system, that is, somehow that sender was configured to be TYPE=OIL. That is why it isn't showing up as a FUEL TANK level.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

The only [NMEA-2000 network fluid tank level] sensor my [ICON 7.0 CTS] sees is the [under-cowling] engine oil tank.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm

alli ss wrote:The only [NMEA-2000 network fluid tank level] sensor my [ICON 7.0 CTS] sees is the [under-cowling] engine oil tank.

If the NMEA-2000 fluid level tank convertor associated with the fuel tank is not showing up on the ICON 7.0 CTS as a level sender of INSTANCE = 4 and TYPE = FUEL, check the power to the drop cable connected to the device. Also, the device itself could be defective.

My impression is that now we know the details of the installation, it should be working, that is, you should be seeing FUEL TANK level being sent via NMEA-2000 to the network, and the ICON 7.0 CTS display should be able to show that data. Something must not be working properly. I think you have the right components assembled to accomplish provide this function. There is just something not quite right.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 am

There is power on [the] drop [cable that connects to the fluid level NMEA-2000 converter].

I hope [the fluid level NMEA-2000 convertor] just needs to be turned on [by using EV-Diagnostic Version 6 software].

The [Evinrude ICON 7.0 CTS] says those four inputs (two fuel and two oil) are sourced from the control head I hope that $1000 [ICON II BASIC EST Concealed Side Mount remote control] is not scrap.

I hope I don't have to end up getting the [ICON II PREMIUM EST Concealed Side Mount remote control] with the analog inputs to display the fuel level.

[EV-Diagnostic software Version 6] would not be needed then to see it.

It is already configured to accept the resistance straight from the level sensor with no network involved.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:13 am

alli ss wrote:[EV-Diagnostic software Version 6] would not be needed then to see it.

I don't follow you. What does "it" refer to in the above sentence?

alli ss wrote:It is already configured to accept the resistance straight from the level sensor with no network involved.

I don't follow you. What does "it" refer to in the above sentence?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am

alli ss wrote:There is power on [the] drop [cable that connects to the fluid level NMEA-2000 converter].

If the NMEA-2000 fluid level converter is connected to network power, it will be powered to the ON state whenever the network has power--unless it is broken.

alli ss wrote:I hope [the fluid level NMEA-2000 convertor] just needs to be turned on [by using EV-Diagnostic Version 6 software].

I doubt that there is any sort of ON-OFF control over the NMEA-2000 fluid level control provided in the EV-Diagnostic Version 6 software. The device goes into the ON state whenever it gets power from the network. When the device is ON, it exhibits the INSTANCE and TYPE values it has been configured to have. All the EV-Diagnostics Version 6 software can do is alter the configuration of INSTANCE and TYPE for the device.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 am

alli ss wrote:The [Evinrude ICON 7.0 CTS] says those four inputs (two fuel and two oil) are sourced from the control head.

Please see my article about INSTANCE settings for the Evinrude G2 system at

The above article describes the scheme used by Evinrude in setting the INSTANCE for devices that send fluid tank level data to the network.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 am

alli ss wrote:I hope that $1000 [ICON II BASIC EST Concealed Side Mount remote control] is not scrap.

I hope I don't have to end up getting the [ICON II PREMIUM EST Concealed Side Mount remote control] with the analog inputs to display the fuel level.

The outcomes you are predicting above are unlikely to occur. Evinrude rigging instructions show the ICON II (BASIC) Concealed Side Mount control can be used with a NMEA-2000 fluid tank level convertor set to INSTANCE=4 and TYPE = FUEL to provide NMEA-2000 data to displays about a fuel tank level. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the combination of an ICON II (BASIC) Concealed Side Mount control and using a separate NMEA-2000 fluid level convertor on a fuel tank.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I realize there is nothing wrong with the [ICON II BASIC EST Concealed Side Mount] controls.

[Here I have deleted a long narration about the fluid tank level senders and displays that went over the same preconfigured INSTANCE settings that occur with certain Evinrude devices that have inputs for analog tank level senders; please see the separate article that explains in detail the Evinrude scheme for setting fuel tank level sender INSTANCE and setting Evinrude display devices to be preconfigured to use fuel tank level senders with those INSTANCE settings--jimh]

We’ll see how [showing fuel tank level on the boat under discussion] goes once I get to the dealer.

I do not have access to EV-Diagnostic Version 6] myself anymore. I must make a three-hour one-way trek [to the dealer].

I am waiting for some more sensors to come in, and to get [the dealer's work] all done in one trip.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 am

For a complete rundown of the capabilities of the Evinrude ICON instrumentation system for E-TEC G2 engines with regard to fluid tank levels see

Evinrude Displays and Fluid Tank Levels

In the above articles I present a comprehensive summary of the system components involved in fluid tank level sensing, configuration, and display.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:04 am

alli ss wrote:I realize there is nothing wrong with the [ICON II BASIC EST Concealed Side Mount] controls.

What I was hoping to make clear is that there is nothing wrong with the set-up of controls, fuel tank level sensors, and display devices you have chosen to use on your E-TEC G2 rigging to create an electronic display of fuel tank level:

• ICON II BASIC EST Concealed Side Mount controls
  • separate NMEA-2000 fluid tank level convertor
  • ICON 7.0 CTS display

These device should work together to show the level of the FUEL TANK on the ICON 7.0 CTS display or on any other NMEA-2000 display device that is configured to show fluid tank level data coming from a fluid tank level network sender with INSTANCE = 4 and TYPE = FUEL.

The Evinrude system is capable of having as many a four fuel tanks, four oil tanks, and three other fluid tanks working together. That's 11 tanks that can be shown. It is certainly possible within this system to show ONE tank.

Please follow up after your dealer visit to let us know the outcome of your visit to the dealer to remedy the problem of no display of fuel tank level on your ICON 7.0 CTS display. I am interested to learn what was causing the problem. Recall that very early in this discussion I mentioned that with resistive tank level senders it will be important that only one instrument is connected to a sensor:

jimh wrote:Generally if you are going to connect a standard resistive-type fluid tank level sender to any sort of display instrument, you need to be aware that in most instances you can only connect one display instrument to the sender. This is because each display will try to send current through the resistor in the sender. If you connect two devices to the sender, each will be trying to send current through the resistor. The result will be very unpredictable, and most likely not workable

I hope the problem in your rigging is not related to having more than one device connected to the tank level resistive sender.

Regarding EV-Diagnostics Version 6 and the hardware needed to use: this is the topic of a much earlier discussion. See

EV-Diagnostic 6 and E-TEC G2 Engines

In that article from four years ago I remark about the notion of individual owners of G2 E-TEC engines having their own set of software and necessary hardware adaptors:

jimh wrote:I do not expect the Evinrude Diagnostic 6 software to be migrating into the hands of engine owners to the same extent as has been seen with prior versions.

Also earlier in this thread I mentioned:

jimh wrote:EV-Diagnostics Version 6 is generally only available to authorized dealers. Its use requires a specialized interface convertor and specialized cables to make the connection between a serial port on the host terminal on which the EV-Diagnostics 6 software is being executed and the E-TEC G2 engine private network bus. The conversion device and adaptor cables are rather expensive; the EV-Diagnostics software is not available from Evinrude to the general public.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:02 pm

A further problem may be in the configuration of the FUEL TANK. Somewhere you need to be able to configure the TANK CAPACITY. If the ICON 7.0 CTS display devices you have cannot configure the sender to a particular tank capacity in gallons or other units, then the data from the sender may not be handled properly by display devices.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:33 pm

I will report more once I can get to the dealer.

If using [Evinrude ICON II EST PREMIUM] remote controls with either the [Evinrude ICON 7.0 CTS or ICON 4.3 CTS displays] the user can configure the [analog inputs of the ICON II PREMIUM EST remote controls to be used for] two fuel tanks and two oil tanks with [resistive-type tank level] senders.

A separate NMEA-2000 [fuel tank level convertor] will not have to be used.

The four analog inputs [that are provided in the ICON II PREMIUM EST] control head] can be wired to [resistive tank level senders] and configured and calibrated from the screens of the [ICON 7.0 CTS or the ICON 4.3 CTS] with no dealer involved.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:49 pm

I mentioned several time in this thread that capabilities and limitations of the Evinrude instrumentation for fluid tank levels are described in detail in a separate article. That article was written specifically to describe in an organized manner the details of these systems. I highly recommend reading that article if seeking an understanding of how these systems work. See:

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 am

I made got to the dealer. [The dealer found the fuel tank level NMEA-2000 convertor, part number] 0768916, was bad.

I had checked the resistive sending unit on the fuel tank; and the resistance readings were correct. I figured [the cause of all the problems] had to be a bad [NMEA tank level convertor] or improper INSTANCE setting. [The NMEA tank level convertor] wasn't showing up on the network. We replaced it with a new one, and [the NMEA network display of fuel tank level readings] took off.

Now I need to calibrate the tank levels.

I hope somebody this information is useful for others.

I recommend getting the Evinrude ICON II PREMIUM Electronic Shift and Throttle (EST) controls. A fuel tank level resistive sender can be connected to the ICON II Premium EST controls. For water tanks, conventional resistive senders can be connected to the ICON TOUCH 7.0 or 4.3 CTS displays.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks for the follow up and the description of the remedy to the problem you initially had with the lack of display of fuel tank level on the NMEA-2000 network. The failed tank level convertor was the cause.

It should be noted that among the Evinrude devices in their ICON rigging system, the only device that can convert an analog resistive input from a conventional tank level into a FUEL tank level is the Evinrude ICON II PREMIUM EST controls. The ICON II 7.0 CTS and 4.3 CTS color touch screen displays have inputs for tank level senders to be converted, but those devices cannot be used for FUEL tanks. They must be used with other tank types, such as FRESH WATER, GRAY WATER, BLACK WATER, [or OIL (see below)].

For more details about which Evinrude rigging devices have analogue inputs for tank senders, which INSTANCE settings they use, and which tank TYPE designations are available, see the separate article on those topics.

alli ss

Postby alli ss » Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 pm

The [analogue inputs on the Evinrude ICON 7.0 CTS] can also be used for oil along with the water tank levels you listed.

[Thanks for the emendation--I added it to the earlier mention above--jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Re using an analogue input for an OIL tank: maybe in the G2 engines there are resistive oil tank level senders.

For legacy oil tanks, I think you have to buy and install a resistive sender to get oil tank level. Usually Evinrude sells them with a NMEA convertor as an oil tank level kit.