Using RPM / MODE Switch with Remote Mechanical Throttle and Shift Control

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
dipsydiver

Using RPM / MODE Switch with Remote Mechanical Throttle and Shift Control

Postby dipsydiver » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Is it possible to use a Evinrude RPM /Switch (Part #: 0766282, $165 at Crowley Marine) with a mechanical control (in my case - Part #: 5006561 Concealed Side Mount, (included in Part #: 0763860 - (Kit w/ Key Switch #176408 and MWS Harness #176341)). I do a lot of trolling and would like to be able to use the RPM feature but not sure it is possible with a 2020 ETEC 90 DSL which I will be purchasing next week. I've spend hours researching and don't seem to be able to come to a definite yes or no answer on my own. Thank you in advance.

jimh

Re: Using RPM / MODE Switch with Mechanical Control

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:12 am

I don't have any first-hand experience with the 90-HP and the Touch Troll switches, so I am not a good resource for your inquiry.

From what I can find, a dash-mount TROLL TOUCH CONTROL Switch Kit - P/N 768017 can be installed for 90-HP E-TEC engines beginning with models "AF". This is mentioned in the installation instructions. You can obtain the instructions from

http://www.dealerport.com/dealerport/in ... screen.pdf

E-TEC engines no longer use model year designators. The engine production epoch is identified in the full model number. For example:

E-TEC 90DSLAFA

would presumably be a model to which the a TROLL switch can be fitted, based on the instructions mentioned above. However, there may be a further concern regarding an engine that was not using tiller steering and uses remote controls. This is discussed at

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/da ... 17-9325006

and a very knowledgeable gentleman advises:

Any attempt to install the Touch Troll Kit #768017 on a remote configured engine would be ill advised.

I recommend you review this information with your dealer before committing to the purchase, if this feature is to be mandatory for your proper use of the engine. I am not a dealer, and I don't have access to all the information available to a dealer.

I don't know if the part you mentioned, 0766282, overcomes any problem related to remote controls. Apparently the length of the wiring being extended was part of the concern about using the Touch Troll Kit #768017.

dipsydiver

Re: Using RPM / MODE Switch with Remote Mechanical Throttle and Shift Control

Postby dipsydiver » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 pm

I bought a new Evinrude E-TEC 90. I finally got it wired up and was able to use it for a bit.

I had to convince my dealer that I could use the Troll switch and the NMEA-2000 network with the motor as long as [the model designator indicated the engine was an] AFA production sequence.

I did all the wiring--and I mean all the wiring--on my 1993 Lowe GLS, and the dealer installed the engine. I showed him the connector for the Troll Switch and he did a good job with install.

The Troll Switch works just as I had hoped it would: it shifts the engine speed by 50-RPM up or down with the touch of a switch. If you do a lot of trolling and your engine is AFA with the troll connection I highly recommend using the Troll switch.