ICON Network Connectors

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
briansmith

ICON Network Connectors

Postby briansmith » Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 pm

Q1: how in the heck do you disconnect those Evinrude-specific, silver, locking-collar ICON network connectors"?

On my boat there are four Evinrude ICON network connectors. The connector inside the nice dry console works exactly like it's supposed to.

The other three ICON network connectors are in the damp and dirty part of the boat, are frozen solid. No amount of wiggling, jiggling, pushing, pulling will make that little silver collar move even a millimeter. And try as I might, I can't pull the cable from the hub.

HELP--I'm sure you've encountered this, and hopefully you have a trick. Thanks in advance.

jimh

Re: ICON Network Connectors

Postby jimh » Sun May 22, 2022 6:22 am

I don't have any first-hand experience with ICON Network connectors being reluctant to disconnect.

I suggest spraying the reluctant connectors with WD-40, then letting that soak for a while. Then gently try to unthread the locking collars.

The real remedy to this problem is to keep water away from the hub and the connectors.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Sun May 22, 2022 10:51 am

jimh wrote:...Then gently try to unthread the locking collars.

Unthread them, meaning "unscrew" them? I didn't think they were a threaded-type connection.

The real remedy to this problem is to keep water away from the hub and the connectors.

Yeah, tell that to the bozo who installed these engines (before I bought the boat). I should probably get some extensions for the cables coming from the engines and relocate the hub up in the nice, dry console.

WD-40 is (hopefully) working its magic now. Thanks!

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 27, 2022 6:27 am

If you question is question about " Private Network" connectors on a "G2 engine", then those connectors are are not "ICON" connectors and they are not threaded. The E-TEC G2 engines use ICON II controls and the network connectors for the private network use a different retaining collar that snaps in place. Those connectors are not threaded-on.

More about the unique E-TEC G2 rigging at

https://www.continuouswave.com/ubb/Foru ... 22677.html

In particular, see this comment:

--the engine control network connectors are no longer threaded connectors, but mate with a snap-in locking collar system; engine network connectors are six-pin.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Tue May 31, 2022 5:55 pm

With enough WD-40, a little Corrosion-X, and a lot of gentle but firm twisting and pushing and pulling, I finally separated the cables from the hub. I'm now waiting on a new Private Network hub from Lockeman's, and hopefully that will solve my problem.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:52 pm

UPDATE: replacing the private network hub with a brand new one from Lockeman's solved the original problem immediately. No more network errors and both engines started like they did back in the good ol' days (two weeks ago). Thanks to everyone who contributed!