ICON II EST Private Network Failover to Public Network

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
briansmith

ICON II EST Private Network Failover to Public Network

Postby briansmith » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:55 am

I have that read on continuouswave that on an E-TEC G2 ICON II EST remote control system, should the Private Network fail, control of starting, shifting, and throttle will failover to the NMEA2000 network.

Q1: Is that true?

The failover to the public network is sure not happening on my boat. My Private Network hub is currently removed, so there is no network, but there is also no starting, so of course no shifting or throttle control.

When I turn on the ignition key, the two neutral LED's on the ICON II Binnacle Control flash. If I shift into FWD or REV, those blue lights flash. I know the flashing lights mean there is a fault. I'm mentioning that they're flashing to illustrate that power is getting to the ICON II.

I get about eight service codes, and six of the service codes mention either the private or public network, and two of the service codes (31 and 33) mention a problem with "power to the control head" and with "ground on the control head".

Q2: What is the control head?

Q3: Is the ICON II EST remote control the control head?

jimh

Re: ICON II EST Private Network Failover to Public Network

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:11 am

briansmith wrote:Q1: Is [the ability of the ICON II remote control system to tolerate a fault in the Private Network and fail over to the public network] true?
Regarding the fail over mechanism, I believe you must be referring to an 2014 article at

E-TEC GEN 2 Rigging Center, ICON II Remote Controls
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022677.html

which mentions:

...if there were to be a failure in the engine control network, the system will automatically fail over to using the NMEA-2000 network for engine control.

The basis for that comment made by me was from statements made at a Evinrude meeting with their dealers which I was able to attend at the time of the introduction of the E-TEC G2.

You experience seems to refute that ability. There are two explanations possible:
  • the presenter at the dealer meeting was wrong or I heard him wrong, and there is no fail over capability, or
  • there is indeed a fail over ability but there is some other defect in your particular system at the moment that prevents that from occurring.

I will investigate the second option as the true explanation.

Looking closely at the circuits that are provided in the Private Network wiring reveals these six conductors:
  • Wake Up
  • Fused Helm Power
  • Fused Helm Ground
  • CAN Hi
  • CAN Lo
  • Stop

The only element of the Private Network that the Public Network can replace is the data communications that occurs on the CAN Hi and CAN Lo communication bus. If the data communication on the CAN bus fails, the the data communication on the Public Network can take over--that is what I believe was intended by the statement made at the dealer meeting regarding fault tolerance.

The other signals provided by the Private Network connections are not data communication signals, but are conductor that are expected to have a particular DC potential on them. For example, the Wake Up signal is probably just a DC voltage; when the voltage is present something occurs. The Stop signal may be just a circuit that needs continuity or lack of continuity to ground. If the the circuit is open, the engine may not be able to run.

By completely removing all the Private Network wiring, there is no longer any ability to provide the four other signals contained in the Private Network wiring between the engines and the remote controls. That is a fault that cannot be tolerated by the design of the system. Your removal of all Private Network wiring between the engines and the ICON II EST top-mounting control has introduced a fault in the system that cannot be tolerated.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:29 am

briansmith wrote:Q2: What is the control head?

Q3: Is the ICON II EST remote control the control head?
I am sure the phrase "control head" must refer to the ICON II EST control.

briansmith wrote:...two of the service codes (31 and 33) mention a problem with "power to the control head" and with "ground on the control head".
The service codes 31 and 33 are probably occurring because you have removed the wiring for the Private Network. The engine is sensing that in the Private Network wiring there are two missing signals: Fused Helm Power; Fused Helm Ground. The service code just reports these signals as missing. The service code cannot tell you the cause. If the EMM were omniscient, if might have a service code for "HEY--YOU JUST REMOVED ALL THE PRIVATE NETWORK WIRING."

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:08 pm

A very well-informed fellow who was involved in the design of the E-TEC G2 and ICON II EST control system, offered this comment (in response to a post I made on another forum where I knew he would be participating):

...there is a backdoor means to get a G2 engine fired up and operable, to a degree, if the Private Network is completely severed.

You can provide the equivalent of the Wake Up signal by momentarily pressing either engine mounted trim button. The EMM will remain powered up for about 10 seconds.

Now, assuming the NMEA 2000 network and Accessory Power In net are intact, the control head will transmit all required signals to crank and control the engine. Once started, the engine will continue to run. Turning the key off will stop the engine by means of a CAN message.

Not a method intended for any routine operation but an added bit of reliability in an emergency situation.

I suggest you try this unusual method. Report back the outcome.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 am

No joy. As mentioned, pressing the tilt button does activate the system briefly (all the LED's on the EST flash, then just the neutral LED's flash), but during that period, neither start button turns the motor over. Now... when this problem started, the engines would turn over, but not start. However, at some point during my troubleshooting, I must have done something to make the problem worse, because now they don't even turn over (batteries are on a trickle charger and are always at 12.7 or above). So - when they would turn over, it's possible that they might have started if I had tried this approach - I have no way to know at this point.

Thanks so much for all the good info, jimh. I should receive my new private network hub tomorrow, and am hoping that will be the magic bullet.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:44 am

Check the wiring around the starter switch panel. Perhaps a wire was dislodged. Look at the back of the START rocker switch. There is a connector that just pushes onto the three contact tabs on the rocker switch. That connector may have become pushed back and may not be making good contact.

I have not examined the ICON II EST starter switch wiring, but on my older ICON EST starter switch panel, the multi-conductor cable from the starter switch panel did not have very good strain relief. When I installed it--I did all the helm wiring myself for the conversion to ICON EST controls--I used a cable clamp very near the starter switch panel to take all stress of the wiring.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:04 pm

I feel like I have checked all of the wiring and all of the connectors, but I'll certainly check it all again. In a few days - after the first tropical depression of this very young hurricane season passes by. By then, I hope to have my new network hub, too.

Thanks, as always, for the suggestions.

briansmith

Postby briansmith » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:49 pm

FIXED!

I put the new private network hub in place, turned on the key and got no errors, and both engines fired up immediately. Now, I need to figure out how to keep that hub dry in the space in which it's installed. Zip-tie a heavy-duty plastic bag around it, with the opening facing downward?

Thanks to everyone who gave input and suggestions.

Butch