My FCC Ship Station License: A Catch-22 Situation

VHF Marine Band radios, protocol, radio communication theory, practical advice; AIS; DSC; MMSI; EPIRB.
jimh

My FCC Ship Station License: A Catch-22 Situation

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:48 pm

For many years one of the major uses of my recreational boat was to visit the Canadian waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. That activity caused me to need to acquire an FCC-issued SHIP STATION LICENSE, which I did in 2011 and also wrote about the process. The fee for the license in 2011 was $160, and the license term was for ten years. Accordingly, this boating season my ship staton license was due to expire in August.

The FCC kindly sent me via U.S. Postal Service mail a letter notifying me that the license was approaching expiration, and invited me to consider renewal of the license. The letter also explained the outcome if not renewed. The fee has increased to $220, again for ten years. In the total cost of boating an added cost of $22 per year is trivial, so I opted to renew. (The fee increase was announced in 2018.)

The Catch-22 effect is the current situation with regard to visiting Canadian water via small recreational boat: you can't due to health restrictions on immigration to Canada. Without access to Canadian ports, I really have no need for an FCC ship station license, but being an optimist, I expect that maybe the immigration to Canada by boat will be allowed, perhaps not this year but maybe by 2023.

Generally I don't enter Canada by boat; I trailer the boat in at Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I am sure if I tried that now I would not be allowed entry, and perhaps would open a further imbroglio even attempting to enter.

[A sidebar discussion on entry to Canada by boat has been moved to TRIPS and RENDEZVOUS for discussion.]

jimh

Re: My FCC Ship Station License: A Catch-22 Situation

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 am

Re the FCC Ship Station License renewal, I filed the paperwork on-line and paid the fee on-line about 4 p.m. one afternoon, and 1:23 a.m the next morning there was an email from the FCC announcing my license renewal had been granted. The FCC no longer mails you an official copy of the license. You have to log-in to your ULS account and print a PDF file onto a physical piece of paper; the PDF includes the watermark OFFICIAL COPY.