MONTAUK 17 Full Cover--Not Wm. J. Mills & Co

A conversation among Whalers
Alibertucci

MONTAUK 17 Full Cover--Not Wm. J. Mills & Co

Postby Alibertucci » Sat May 21, 2022 8:20 am

Give me the name of a vendor other than Wm. J. Mills & Co. that sells a full cover for a 2000 MONTAUK 17.

I want a full cover that does NOT go over the bow rails. I store the boat outside. I need a full cover that is easy to put on and easy take off, and a full cover that could be used while trailering the boat.
Smooth Whalin
2000 Montauk 17
90 HP Mercury Two Stroke Saltwater

jimh

Re: MONTAUK 17 Full Cover--Not Wm. J. Mills & Co

Postby jimh » Sat May 21, 2022 9:39 am

Alibertucci wrote:Give me the name of a vendor other than Wm. J. Mills & Co. for a full cover for a 2000 MONTAUK 17.
The Great Lakes Boat Top company makes some canvas for Boston Whaler boats. Whether or not something they have pre-made for a MONTAUK will be suitable for your use is unknown to me, and perhaps unknown to them as well.

The Great Lakes Boat Top company has a website at

https://greatlakesboattop.com/

A discussion of canvas makers for Boston Whaler boats was the topic of a thread begun about one year ago. See

BOAT COVER OPTIONS
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6417

Any cover you buy that is made to an existing pattern for a classic MONTAUK may not suit all your requirements for how the cover is to fit onto your boat.

I recommend you locate a canvas artisan local to you and have the cover you want made to your specifications. Plan to pay about $1,200 or more for a well-made, custom-designed cover made from premium fabric like Glen Raven Mills SUNBRELLA. If the artisan is a good canvas maker, the artisan will probably have a backlog of work that could delay deliver for as long as a year. Plan to leave your boat with the canvas artisan for a week or more to allow the custom designed cover to be made.

To find local canvas artisans, visit several large marinas in your area, walk the docks, and look for boats will very nicely fitted canvas. Canvas makers usually always include a label on their products announcing who made them. In this way you can discover the names of local canvas artisans that other boats have used and who have produced good work.

jimh

Re: MONTAUK 17 Full Cover--Not Wm. J. Mills & Co

Postby jimh » Sat May 21, 2022 10:07 am

Alibertucci wrote:I need a full cover that is easy to put on and easy take off, and a full cover that could be used while trailering the boat.
I had the same requirements for a cover for my boat, and in addition, the cover had to have snaps that fit about 25 pre-existing snaps that were used for other components in the canvas system. There was no possibility of an off-the-shelf made-to-a-pattern cover that would meet my requirements.

You may be in a similar situation.