Another Reminder: UNSINKABLE Boston Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Another Reminder: UNSINKABLE Boston Whaler

Postby jimh » Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 am

A news item from the United States Coast Guard reminds me why I really like the unsinkable characteristics of my Boston Whaler boat:

21 May 2022
Coast Guard rescues 3 near Egmont Key in Tampa Bay

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.— A Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg boat crew rescued three people from a 24-foot vessel taking on water in Tampa Bay, Saturday.

The 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boat crew picked up the three people off a buoy near Egmont Key without medical concerns.

USCG_recue.jpg
USCG Photo by PO1 Ayla Hudson.
USCG_recue.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 783 times

Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg watchstanders were notified via VHF radio channel 16 of the vessel taking on water. The owner is coordinating with commercial salvage for the vessel.

The Coast Guard reminds all boaters of these important safety tips while on the water: wear a life jacket, carry all required safety gear, file a float plan, and check the weather and water conditions before getting on the water.

Source: https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/318dad5

ASIDE: this exact text and image was used on dozens of commercial websites and marked as copyright by the commercial website, as if they had written the text and taken the photograph. This is what constitutes "journalism" by most media outlets.

dtmackey

Re: Another Reminder: UNSINKABLE Boston Whaler

Postby dtmackey » Tue May 24, 2022 9:55 am

If those poor fisherman had been boating in an unsinkalble boat, such as an Edgewater or Everglades this wouldn't be news.

D-

Vance's Revenge

Re: Another Reminder: UNSINKABLE Boston Whaler

Postby Vance's Revenge » Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 am

My personal rules before I decide to fish with someone on the ocean in their boat. Does it float upside down? Does it have two motors?

I prefer a main motor and a kicker motor over twins. Often problems occur that can take out both twins while a kicker motor has the advantage of being tilted in the upright position clear from hazards while traveling at high speeds and can be deployed in an emergency.