Seven Questions About Re-Sale Value Preservation in Restoration of a 1970 NAUSET 16
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2026 9:25 pm
In reference to a restoration of a 1970 NAUSET 16 and with the most important aspect being future re-sale value (because I do not plan to keep the NAUSET forever):
Q1: what changes or modifications will have a significant reduction in the re-sale value?
Q2: what options are there for a stern seat?
Q3: what options are there for any additional seating?
Q4: is the Specialty Marine $800 stern seat worth the price?
Q5: would replacement of the current cable steering with VEVOR-brand hydraulic steering be "blowing it"?
ASIDE: I have confidence that [the VEVOR hydraulic steering will be able to handle an outboard engine of suitable power for the NAUSET].
Q6: what boat cover is best?
Q7: what is often done in restorations with the blue interior color?
ASIDE: I am not sure if the blue interior color is original. It looks like it is painted.
BACKSTORY
I just bought this 1970 NAUSET 16, which is all-original and has been kept in a garage. There are blemishes but nothing major {is wrong with the boat], except the engine does not run. The boat has only seating for four people: the main bench seat and a seat forward of the console.
Q1: what changes or modifications will have a significant reduction in the re-sale value?
Q2: what options are there for a stern seat?
Q3: what options are there for any additional seating?
Q4: is the Specialty Marine $800 stern seat worth the price?
Q5: would replacement of the current cable steering with VEVOR-brand hydraulic steering be "blowing it"?
ASIDE: I have confidence that [the VEVOR hydraulic steering will be able to handle an outboard engine of suitable power for the NAUSET].
Q6: what boat cover is best?
Q7: what is often done in restorations with the blue interior color?
ASIDE: I am not sure if the blue interior color is original. It looks like it is painted.
BACKSTORY
I just bought this 1970 NAUSET 16, which is all-original and has been kept in a garage. There are blemishes but nothing major {is wrong with the boat], except the engine does not run. The boat has only seating for four people: the main bench seat and a seat forward of the console.