Page 1 of 1

Barn Find: 1976 NEWPORT 16

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2026 9:05 pm
by ratherwhalering
My friend's 22-year-old son found and bought a 1976 NEWPORT 16 in a barn for $2,000. The 1976 Johnson 70-HP engine has 135-PSI psi on all three cylinders. I just did the once-over and everything is exceptional.

FIG-1.jpg
FIg. 1. A 1976 NEWPORT 16 on a trailer.
FIG-1.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 880 times


Before I got in his ear, he replaced the panels with a single panel. He has the original seat and RPS out for recover. The legs are painted red, but--other than that--[this barn-find classic] is what we all live for.

ASIDE
He's a great kid and will be posting here shortly.

[Moderator's note: please do not ask questions about how to use the forum software in a boating forum. Use the forum, INTRODUCTION TO THE FORUM SOFTWARE to ask questions about how to use the forum software.]

[Author's note: Copy that, I should know better my friend.]

Re: Barn Find: 1976 NEWPORT 16

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2026 9:19 pm
by ratherwhalering
newport.jpg
Fig. 2. Extremely small photo of the barn find.
newport.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Re: Barn Find: 1976 NEWPORT 16

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 7:19 am
by jimh
ratherwhalering wrote:...he replaced the panels with a single panel.
What are "panels"?

Re: Barn Find: 1976 NEWPORT 16

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 11:46 am
by ratherwhalering
I believe the 17-Newport console originally had two small dash panels. Here's a question. Is it a Newport 16 or a 17-Newport? (Smirked hull)