Pending owner of 1972 Katama

A conversation among Whalers
hermit

Pending owner of 1972 Katama

Postby hermit » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:16 pm

This is my first post. This forum is a wonderful resource.

I just put earnest money down on a 1972 Katama (thanks to biggiefl for correcting my ID of the boat). The seller is finding his registration papers, etc so we can finish the transaction, I can get the boat and trailer registered, and bring it home. More pics when I have the boat.

overview_1200x900.jpg
overview_1200x900.jpg (152.2 KiB) Viewed 11320 times

My goal is for my wife and I, both retired, to enjoy fishing and slow-lane cruising in some sort of style. I have only owned and used small aluminum fishing boats before.

The hull seems to generally be in good condition for a 47-year-old boat. The seller says the boat has been on the trailer under a canopy in his back yard since 2007, when the motor, an 85 hp Chrysler Charger Deluxe, died, and says it it would require rebuilding to be used again. I am not inclined to do that.

Our current plan is to rent a marina slip on the Erie Canal for the rest of the boating season, and ask the marina to remove (and presumably discard) the motor. I would bring the trailer home and work on it. Then I would work on the boat during the cold months. Can marinas weigh boats? I am very curious, and if I have any concerns, hull weight is it.

I will avoid any expensive repowering decisions for now. It doesn't take much to go 4-5 mph down the Canal. Other than propulsion, what should I do immediately for putting the old boat safely and without further damage on the water for the next few months? We know we'd like a bimini and need a mooring cover. Any pointers to recommended suppliers are welcome.
Last edited by hermit on Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggiefl

Re: Pending owner

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:37 pm

That is an original example of a Katama model, not a Montauk which were not invented yet ;) It is considered a 16' as well. They were later replaced by a similar model called a Newport which carried on the same "side" console with front seating as the Katama. You would need to caulk or fill in the old holes for the engine before putting in the water. There are people out out there who would be interested in that engine for parts or rebuild. they are VERY simple engines so it might be worth a look to see what exactly "died". The electronics on them were crap and many people could not keep them running even though it was just a set of points or whatever. At least have a compression test done to see if internals are still OK.

Boat looks good from pic and again very original. I doubt I would be concerned with water intrusion.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

hermit

Re: Pending owner

Postby hermit » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Wow, [the actual model being a KATAMA is] a surprise! Thanks very kindly, biggie. I will update the first post to correctly ID the boat.

I will talk a few marinas to see who in the area might be interested in the engine.

Part of my interest in the actual weight is from fear of significant water intrusion, and part is because I am told that these were claimed to weigh 500-600 lb when new (560 lb on some plates of similar vintage boats), and later (post-1975?) dry weights were around 900 to 1000-lbs.

The actual weight has some effect, in my mind, on engine and propeller choices. I have been playing with a couple of the performance analysis tools pointed out on this forum.

jimh

Re: Pending owner of 1972 Katama

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am

The Chrysler outboard engine might have residual value for parts or for repair to someone who was a fanatic for old and unusual outboard engines. Before throwing into a scrap heap, see if there is anyone who would want it.

frontier

Postby frontier » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am

That is a NICE looking original Katama. We had one years ago and loved it. Amazing, lightweight hull (bare hull without console and seats only weighed 500 pounds). The Katama was one of the 1st Boston Whalers to have maintenance free fiberglass console and seating. Does it still have the original 2 bucket seats in front of the console?

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:30 am

Again, I would not be concerned about water intrusion on a boat that clean, never-bottom-painted and kept-under-a-tarp for 12-years boat. I would guess a Katama would weigh around 750 to 800-lbs or so without an engine.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

hermit

Postby hermit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:32 am

jimh wrote:The Chrysler outboard engine might have residual value for parts or for repair to someone who was a fanatic for old and unusual outboard engines. Before throwing into a scrap heap, see if there is anyone who would want it.

I am hoping the marina we will use can help make that happen. They trade in boats and engines and must be familiar with people who would be interested in the engine, whole or as parts. My only passing familiarity is with tiller-steer outboards. Things like tilt/trim, remote controls, etc are foreign to me, and I am not tied into the local boating scene, having recently relocated here. If nothing else, they should be able to give advice and, I assume, store the engine for the rest of the boating season.

hermit

Postby hermit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:43 am

frontier wrote:That is a NICE looking original Katama. We had one years ago and loved it. Amazing, lightweight hull (bare hull without console and seats only weighed 500 pounds). The Katama was one of the 1st Boston Whalers to have maintenance free fiberglass console and seating. Does it still have the original 2 bucket seats in front of the console?

Thank you. The two seats in front of the console are still there. The vinyl is split in places, and I'm sure the foam needs replacement after all these years; the helm seat is in the same state. But the helm seat wood that attaches the seat to the platform is rotten, so that the seat is simply resting on the platform. I did not check the front seats, but my guess is the front seats are in the same condition.

bow_seats_2_1200x900.jpg
bow_seats_2_1200x900.jpg (74.81 KiB) Viewed 11260 times

So although they actually look pretty good from a distance, I fear they will be useful for nothing more than as templates, especially since I read that the internal seat frame is also wood. We will see.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 pm

That boat is a good find being all there and unmolested.

I would want to know what "died" on the engine before I did anything.

You can always go to DMV with the owner if he can't find the title and get a new one.

I bet the varnish on the wood is from the factory.

hermit

Postby hermit » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:25 pm

OK! The boat is ours, and in our driveway. The front seats actually seem fairly solid. There is a hole in the fiberglass that I can stick a finger into in the anchor locker and it is wet underneath. The horn works and the compass still floats and spins. The boat used to have a fly top (is that the right term?) but only mounting sockets on the mahogany side boards remain. I hope those are the factory fly top attachment points and I can find a source of shade that works with that. Any suggestions welcome. That's about all I know so far.

Is there somewhere I can find a 1972 BW catalog?
Is there somewhere I can find a 1972 owner's manual?

I came across a post in the old forum dated 03/03/2012 from Tom W Clark on the "Middle speeds" topic that describes exactly how I want my boat to behave:

If the goal is to be able to cruise at minimum planing speed, which on most classic 16'7" hulls is 12-15 MPH, then I can recommend a few simple changes that will improve the situation.

- Raise the motor on the transom as high as it can go.

- Install a good stainless steel propeller.

- Install a StingRay hydrofoil on the AV plate.

The latter recommendation is unusual for me, but in this particular case where you ideally want to cruise at 10 MPH, I am going to agree with Phil T and recommend one. It will certainly kill some top speed and if you had power TnT, it would limit its range, but since you do not, that is not a concern.

I have a friend with a Katama (exact same hull as yours) and a 50 HP motor on it. The Honda BF50 is equipped with aforementioned hydrofoil and that boat simply does not change its attitude as it accelerates. There is no bow rise and it will cruise at any speed you want up to its 32 MPH top speed.

I would be fine with 22 mph top speed instead of 32 mph. It's a personal preference, maybe an odd one, but if I'm going over 20 mph, I want to do it in something with seat belts and air bags. I don't mind if top speed is 32 mph, as long as that top speed doesn't mind not being used.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:11 am

ASIDE ON A PARENTHETICAL QUESTION: The Wm. J. Mills & Co. Sailmakers name for a small top was “Flying Top” and for a large top was “Sun Top.”

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 am

For advice on optimizing performance please start a new thread in the PERFORMANCE forum.

Your narrative of your pending ownership seems to have ended with the purchase. Welcome to the classic Boston Whaler boat owners club.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:18 am

Old Boston Whaler catalogues are usually found in dusty bottom file cabinet drawers of boaters who like to collect stuff like that.